General Aquaria Discussion • How much $$$ do you have into livestock?

For general fish and aquarium topics. Including catfish, aquatic plants, ponds, photography, etc.

Moderators: DJRansome, fmueller

Postby F8LBITEva » Sat Apr 26, 2008 11:11 am

Im at about $500
F8LBITEva

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby Gibbs » Sat Apr 26, 2008 11:15 am

I spent hundreds on peacocks and haps in the last year not to score some nice syno's for about 10 bucks each :)
just today i traded all my haps for a credit of $110 :( ........but picked up 4 Elongatus Mpanga for $60 and i got a 35g grow out tank with the other $50.
Not to mention the $75 yestrday on 15 Ps. Saulosi which was a private sale and im absolutely wrapped with.
Don't tell the missus how much i spent but ok :D
Gotta spend your money on something :fish:
Gibbs

Postby why_spyder » Sat Apr 26, 2008 11:30 am

billr wrote:if i kept track,id cry. 6 tanks and i still want more. fish are my crack :lol:

I'm the same way. I know I don't even have a lot of fish compared to many of the multi-tank fishroom people around.

A buddy of mine has many Tang's and usually gets groups (8-12) of wild Tropheus and Cyp's. A couple hundred bucks would be a cheap order for him.... :lol:
why_spyder

Postby copasetic » Sat Apr 26, 2008 12:22 pm

i find you get what u pay for.. my early purchases at pet stores were deff. a waste of $$$.. Just like my dogs when you can see their healthy parents it is good piece of mind that the commitment your making in money value will be backed by health and quality value.. not to mention peace of mind on the pedigree..
copasetic

Postby TheeMon » Sat Apr 26, 2008 2:35 pm

why_spyder wrote:
billr wrote:if i kept track,id cry. 6 tanks and i still want more. fish are my crack :lol:

I'm the same way.

me2 thats why i have purposly not added it up for this thread... i mean i had 2(almost) complete tank deaths happen and at 10ish$ per at like 30 fish... +++ the cost to restock

+++ i have 9 tanks set-up...........

makes you wonder whats worse crack or hobbys...
TheeMon

Postby Matt B. » Sat Apr 26, 2008 3:03 pm

there was probably about $500 spent on the fish I have right now (about 70% purchased as fry...the rest are WC)....to replace them all at the size they are now would easily be 2-3x that

I have also probably lost (in the past) close to (if not more than) $800 worth of fish....the biggest loss coming a couple years ago when when I had an fully stocked 125 get completely whipped out (and I'm only 16, and have been keeping cichlids only about 4 years)

TheeMon wrote:makes you wonder whats worse crack or hobbys...

hmmm....in terms of cost....crack may be the way to go :lol: .......but I'd rather keep my fish :lol:
Matt B.

Postby Toby_H » Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:05 am

I have under $500 invested in stock...

I have over $5,000 invested in hardware...

Which is why the manufacturers are rich and the breeders are poor...
The happier you make your fish the happier they will make you

Minimum requirements means minimum happiness for all
Toby_H

Postby cichlidaholic » Mon Apr 28, 2008 12:53 pm

I took fish to the LFS on Saturday (cleaned out the bad boy tank and moved them on), got a $62 store credit, and spent $52 on new fish before I left. That's just wrong.

Kim
110G - Perspicax Red Top Ndumbi, Demasoni, Yellow labs, Metriaclima Callainos

Check out the blog on the home page if you haven't already!!!
cichlidaholic

Postby kornphlake » Mon Apr 28, 2008 5:23 pm

I feel like such a cheepskate after reading through this thread. I just bought a house not too long ago and I'm slowly getting all my tanks back up and running. I've got two 10g tanks, one 30g X-tall and one 29g flat back hex setup at the moment. In the last 6 months I've spent about $25 on fish at the pet store to stock the first 10g I set up. I've stocked the other tanks with fish from fish club auctions, the most expensive investment was 6 A. Agasizzi for $7, I think I paid about $7 for 11 endlers, I paid $4 for 3 Corydoras Aneaus, I got some HRPs for free from another club member who wanted to free up the tank they were in for some african cichlids, this month I scored 5 Ameca Splendens for $1. I've spent $44 on fish for 4 tanks, oh add another $6 for the otos that didn't make it so I'm up to $50 on livestock. I've probably spent tiwce that much on plants because for whatever reason the plants seem to fetch more than fish at the auctions.
kornphlake

Postby Marduk » Tue Apr 29, 2008 1:33 am

Just the fish or all the equipment?

With the fish the last year I may have spent over $1100 (1/3 of that is probably shipping costs) on fish.
Marduk

Postby Chrispy » Tue Apr 29, 2008 3:08 am

I have spent waaaayyyy to much. I really want a 40g long now to set up a heavy planted tank...the LFS has some beautiful german rams that need a good home!!
Chrispy

I'm up there.....

Postby igetbombed1977 » Mon May 05, 2008 2:26 pm

Easily over $1000 spent, but that's with 6 tanks running. But selling off fry to club members and LFS's have made me back proably 2/3 of my $$$$
igetbombed1977

Postby betz1106 » Wed Jun 11, 2008 3:31 pm

like others i feel bad, only spent about 100 or so

but about 5 or 6 years ago i had a whole african juvie tank go down at that was around $400.

hence why i had a 5 or 6 year hiatus on the fish hobby......the wife almost killed me
betz1106

Postby chapman76 » Wed Jun 11, 2008 4:42 pm

I really have no clue. I'm probably ahead if you strictly count the value of fish I've brought in compared to the fish that I've sold (lots and lots and lots of fry). Most of what I do is I have a group of X and I've had for a few years and I want a change. Post an ad and do a trade for a group of fish Y. Repeat every few years.

Out of pocket, I've probably spent about $1,000-$1,500 in the last 15 years.
chapman76

PreviousNext

Return to General Aquaria Discussion