General Aquaria Discussion • How much $$$ do you have into livestock?

For general fish and aquarium topics. Including catfish, aquatic plants, ponds, photography, etc.

Moderators: DJRansome, fmueller

Postby under_control » Wed Jun 11, 2008 6:25 pm

copasetic wrote:i find you get what u pay for.. my early purchases at pet stores were deff. a waste of $$$.. Just like my dogs when you can see their healthy parents it is good piece of mind that the commitment your making in money value will be backed by health and quality value.. not to mention peace of mind on the pedigree..

I have roughly 400 in fish. I breed golden retrievers though and sell them for $$$$$ depending on how far along they are in training("started").

That doesn't make rescue dogs bad. We have 6 dogs, 2 of which are rescues--and rescues make darn good dogs. I've dealt with plenty of "champion" breeders in fish(betta, cichlid, whatever), dogs, etc that look great on paper and their quality in real life is #%$&.

Some of the best dogs I've ever had were mutts and some of my favorite fish ever were "mutts".

One of my buddies has a lab/retriever mix that will out hunt any dog I've seen.
under_control

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby heylady » Thu Jun 12, 2008 2:14 pm

Of the fish I have right at this moment I have maybe $300 worth. When I had my reef tank though, I had at least $1000 in corals and fish. If I were to calculate the last 10 years of keeping fish well, I'd hate to see the total on that! :wink:

50g 1 red oscar
heylady

Postby cholile » Thu Jun 12, 2008 5:42 pm

I keep track via an excel spreadsheet and the cost for the fish I have currently in the tank + the few which have died - the handful I've sold comes out to a net cost of just under $700. I only buy adult males so they're never cheap, but the resulting all male tank is one I couldn't be happier with ... well, except if I could add just a few more fish (an ever-present feeling).
cholile

Postby TheExoticFish.com » Thu Jun 12, 2008 6:29 pm

Cichlids only, I have spent about 600+ on the fish alone. Supplies, pft I don't even want to think about that.
TheExoticFish.com

Postby JenTN » Sat Jun 28, 2008 10:14 pm

Quite a bit in fish, but not nearly as much as my 6 month old puppy! Feeding, training, heartworm meds, flea/tick treatment for a lab/great dane mix that weighs over sixty pounds at 6 months :roll:
JenTN

Postby Toby_H » Sun Jun 29, 2008 12:06 pm

lol I have a friend who spent more money on a single trip to the vet last month than I spent starting my fishroom...

...the sad part is his dog isn't any better... but my fishroom has come together nicely ;)
The happier you make your fish the happier they will make you

Minimum requirements means minimum happiness for all
Toby_H

Previous

Return to General Aquaria Discussion