General Aquaria Discussion • 18 years old to buy fish at Petsmart? What!?

For general fish and aquarium topics. Including catfish, aquatic plants, ponds, photography, etc.

Moderators: DJRansome, fmueller

Postby LJ » Sun Apr 27, 2008 3:23 pm

there is very little correlation between age and responsibility

Agree to disagree. I think there is a very strong correlation.

Either way, it's well within Petsmart's rights to impose this rule. I don't know that it will help the fish very much, but that is not Petsmart's objective, at least not their main objective. They want to help their image.

It is what it is. Does anyone know if there are age restrictions for purchasing dogs or cats?
LJ

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby Joels fish » Sun Apr 27, 2008 4:45 pm

Every pet shop I've been to has a 18+ policy for dogs , cats , birds , ect.. And yesterday I was at a local Superpetz, and they've imposed an 18+ policy for purchasing Bettas. There was a sign right above the display stating so. I asked the kid who was netting my new Ottos about it and he said it was to keep kids from trying to make them fight. Guess the rumor has gotten around.
nothing until I can find a decent fish store in East Tennessee
Joels fish

Postby DMWave45 » Sun Apr 27, 2008 4:59 pm

I think there is a strong correlation between age and responsibility also. But, just because people 18+ or 30+ HAVE more responsibiblity doesn't make them any more inclined to BE responsible. A person will pretty much be as responsible as they are going to be their whole life. it's just a 15 year old kid's responsibilities are usually a lot less than a 25 year old's. Thus, making it hard to measure.
DMWave45

Postby CDMOK » Sun Apr 27, 2008 5:02 pm

LJ wrote:Does anyone know if there are age restrictions for purchasing dogs or cats?

LJ,

PetSmart doesn't outright sell cats or dogs because of euthanasia problems, but we do constant adoptions. The age requirements would be up to the individual organizations, but I would assume they have some restrictions.
125 gl:
1M Placidichromus Phenochilus
1M/1F Aulonocara Flametail
2 Bristlenose Plecos
CDMOK

Postby LJ » Sun Apr 27, 2008 8:02 pm

Maybe responsibility is not the right word. I believe that adults have better decision making ability than children, on average.

I think it's a good rule. I don't think a child should be able to purchase a dog, and I don't think a child should be able to purchase a fish either, without parental permission.

Perhaps 18 is too high though. I think 16 might be better.
LJ

Re: Yes, the policy changes

Postby juliusskinner » Sat Dec 07, 2019 7:40 am

SinisterKisses wrote:Might be a new policy, I know I've heard talk of it before.

Sorry for the late reply but I 'm with Petsmart as they do change their policy so often. If you bought a pet or pet product and not satisfied then it can be returned within 60 days of purchase and you will be refunded back in the same mode of payment. If you exceed 60 days return problem than still, you can return the product but you need to carry out valid id along with it. Returning product found on shipping defective or damage has a different time frame to return
Last edited by Deeda on Sat Dec 07, 2019 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: link removed
juliusskinner

Re: 18 years old to buy fish at Petsmart? What!?

Postby football mom » Sat Dec 07, 2019 9:53 am

I haven't visited C-F in a long time but this notification captured my attention. I think some of these rules are essentially "virtue signaling" so they can say to the animal right groups that they are trying.
There is the dilemma that some younger teens are well-versed in aquaculture, and some adults are totally clueless. Just so you know, I am not defending the Box Stores in any way.
football mom

Previous

Return to General Aquaria Discussion