General Aquaria Discussion • 18 years old to buy fish at Petsmart? What!?

For general fish and aquarium topics. Including catfish, aquatic plants, ponds, photography, etc.

Moderators: DJRansome, fmueller

Postby Desi<3 » Fri Apr 25, 2008 10:09 pm

Instead of a quiz how about some simple question like:
What fish do you have? (tell if they know about compatibility)
What are your parameters? (tell if they know check or even read pH ect.)

There are tons of other simple questions to ask (kindly) without a straight stupidity quiz! Get what Im saying? I would rather have a preson casually ask me questions in an interested way w/o handing me a pop quiz (I have enough of those in school thank you very much)!!
Desi<3

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby Joels fish » Sat Apr 26, 2008 1:25 am

Instead of a quiz how about some simple question like:
What fish do you have? (tell if they know about compatibility)
What are your parameters? (tell if they know check or even read pH ect.)

There are tons of other simple questions to ask (kindly) without a straight stupidity quiz! Get what Im saying? I would rather have a preson casually ask me questions in an interested way w/o handing me a pop quiz (I have enough of those in school thank you very much)!!

What you are suggesting here is the same thing I did Desi<3 , only verbal instead of written. :lol: Lots of LFS already do this and many chain stores try to do it as well , only the folks at the chains generaly don't know what their talking about IME. The Idea for a quiz was aimed towards the chain stores employies, and would naturaly involve some trianing on their part as well. Not that any of that matters much cause it's not like they'll do that sort of thing anyway. Besides even if they did I would be impressed that one of those big chains was making an effort to help insure the well being of the wet pets they sell. Any way you look at it though it's still better than having to prove your 18+ years old to buy a guppy for petes sake.
nothing until I can find a decent fish store in East Tennessee
Joels fish

Postby Desi<3 » Sat Apr 26, 2008 11:31 am

LOL I was like, Umm if somebody handed me a quiz I would just tell them to shove it up their *beep* and walk out!

There was no way I would ever take the quiz. Like i said a few friendly questions are fine with me, you know, if you just sound interested then its fine w/ me!
Desi<3

Postby 12pointer » Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:35 pm

CDMOK wrote:
In OK, we actually go through very rigorous training. But I know it wasn't always that way. Apparently before they hired me, the store was aquired by new management that put into motion the months-long training program and employee requirements (must own pets and for a certain amount of time). All the employees had never really been trained or cared to be, so a lot of them ended up leaving. Now we have newer people with a lot more knowledge and a lot more passion for our animals and customers. It's probably a rare case, but we are surprising NOT your typical Petco/PetSmart.

Sorry to say this but I don't see how you can say you go through a rigorous training at petsmarts. The petsmart here in my area of Michigan have no clue of their animals. When I go in there and look at the 5 or 6 different cichlids that they carry which are Mbuna's mixed with Mbuna's or hormone peocks with different peacocks. They have no clue on the fish its self or the habitat or the diet. most of the time they ask me what the fish, habitat, and diets are. I don't think their asking because they think I don't know what I'm doing. I think their asking because they don't know what their doing. The petsmart in OK might be different but her in my area they suck. I would prefere to have someone to be able to answer my questions rather than ask me how to take care of the fish they have no clue about.
12pointer

Postby CDMOK » Sat Apr 26, 2008 5:25 pm

12pointer wrote:Sorry to say this but I don't see how you can say you go through a rigorous training at petsmarts.

I can say that, because we do. At least, I did. I won't argue that prior experience doesn't aid in my capability to help customers.

But, as I've come to notice lately, it doesn't matter how much training or how many years you've been with the company, knowledge is a choice and a lot of people are too lazy to take the steps to gather it.

Last week I had a woman come in to me and say, "I just bought these fish, and they just huddle together in the corner. Parrot somethings.."
"Blood parrots?"
"Cute ones, like red?"
"And, they're... in a 10 gallon, correct?"

Turns out, my manager had sold her a pair of blood parrots, knowing full well she had a 10 gallon. She was almost in tears when I told her the genuine needs of the fish. She had fallen in love, and just wanted them to be happy. Upgrading wasn't an option due to space, the biggest she could go was a 20 gl. I convinced the woman to return them for the sake of the fish and get some smaller, not-so-cute fish.

Unfortunately - and I regret this because I am not sure whether or not the parrots would have had a better life in the 10 gallon - our policy is that all live returns, regardless of health, must be quarantined for 14 days before being put back on the main floor. Our quarantine tank is also our sick tank - which they only allow us to treat with minimal medication. Basically, it's a cesspool, and even healthy fish that are returned to us like those beautiful blood parrots have to go in there. They were returned two days ago, and have died since then. I wonder if I should have just let her keep them.

It's a job that requires much passion and apathy, all at once. If you get emotional, you'll be a wreck.

There have been many instances like this lately though with the hiring of new, untrained employees. I will probably be putting my two-weeks in shortly.

I feel this conflict in a lot of areas in my life: Try and stay with (corporation/organization/situation) in order to promote change or be realistic and realize no one cares and throw in the towel.

I don't know, guys. I wish it were possible for all lovers of the hobby to be able to make a living from these jobs so that the positions could be filled with knowledgeable and passionate people - but it's not possible. You know as well as I do that the majority of retail is filled with college students needing to make an extra buck. It's inevitable that they will be clueless, careless, and only in it for their four hour shift. You know?
125 gl:
1M Placidichromus Phenochilus
1M/1F Aulonocara Flametail
2 Bristlenose Plecos
CDMOK

Postby emtbmike » Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:59 pm

I used to work for petsmart. there is no training at all. They told you to read the cards on the fish tags. They dont care if you know what you are talking about as long as you can sell there producta nd make the fat man rich.
emtbmike

Postby fishoverlivingspace » Sat Apr 26, 2008 11:06 pm

[quote="CDMOK You know as well as I do that the majority of retail is filled with college students needing to make an extra buck. It's inevitable that they will be clueless, careless, and only in it for their four hour shift. You know?[/quote]

Can't say I appreciate that comment too much at all. That's pretty much the same attitude everyone in this thread is speaking out against. I work at two different aquarium stores (one in my hometown and one in my college town) and I care more about the well-being of the fish and being informative to customers than most. I've had enough of ageism!
fishoverlivingspace

Postby DMWave45 » Sat Apr 26, 2008 11:29 pm

AGREED
DMWave45

Postby CDMOK » Sat Apr 26, 2008 11:57 pm

fishoverlivingspace wrote:Can't say I appreciate that comment too much at all. That's pretty much the same attitude everyone in this thread is speaking out against. I work at two different aquarium stores (one in my hometown and one in my college town) and I care more about the well-being of the fish and being informative to customers than most. I've had enough of ageism!

Don't get defensive - I'm a college student working at a pet store.

I am being realistic. Yes, you and I care - but the fact is that retail, regardless of what specialty, is geared towards younger people who need part-time work. There are always exceptions, but generally people just want some cash, even at specialty stores like PetSmart.
125 gl:
2 Bristlenose Plecos
CDMOK

Postby fishoverlivingspace » Sun Apr 27, 2008 12:11 am

Just because you're criticizing your own group doesn't mean that I can't defend my work ethic and knowledge. I understand that there are irresponsible people out there, but they are represented in every age group around, and there's no need to decide in which age group it occurs more. Why is it that racism, sexism, and all other forms of discrimination are looked down upon and condemned, but ageism is perfectly fine?
The point of this thread was to point out how ridiculous it is that large chain pet stores have ridiculous policies about age, and while it may seem that they are looking down on young kids as unknowledgeable(maybe that is true), but the main point of it is that they don't want to have to deal with the angry parents who didn't want their kids bringing home new pets or spending their money on "childish" hobbies.
Yes, kids often know more than their adult-hobbyist counterparts, and yes, kids and college students are often more immature and irresponsible than their adult counterparts, but it works both ways! Therefore, this discussion is pretty futile, considering age has very little correlation to responsibility.
fishoverlivingspace

Postby CDMOK » Sun Apr 27, 2008 12:19 am

I disagree with you, but I respect your view point. All I ask is that you do the same for me.

However, I do envy your ability to work in two aquarium stores :lol:
125 gl:
2 Bristlenose Plecos
CDMOK

Postby under_control » Sun Apr 27, 2008 1:03 am

12pointer wrote:I remember when I was 8 I purcashed my first tank I use to ride my bike to the LFS and put money on the 29 gallon setup that I had in layaway. When it was paid off my mom drove me up there and picked it up for me. I still have that tank, 32yrs later and its still running.

I personly think its BS that they would refuse to sell up and comming hobbyist fish. Yes some people have gone the wrong way by buying fish for fighting them for profit. If the young people can't buy from petsmarts what makes them think their stopping them from buying fish, they can just go to a LFS who will most likely be willing to sell fish to them.

Thats the problem with the world today. Its ok for a 12yr old to sit in the wood with a gun and shoot a deer but they can't buy a fish unless their 18.

PS... Petsmart sucks anyway

The reality in your argument is your are upset between the differences of state governments and private businesses. if a private company wants make age a requirement, they can. As to whether they have actually done this here and it wasn't just an overzealous employee is a different issue.

Honestly, your example has ironies. In every state I've ever seen of, a 12 year old who goes hunting has to have a few requirements: hunter's safety course, parents have to sign application, parents have to be with during hunt.

How bout apply those to fish, since you readily compared them. MOST of the people who buy fish under 18 are likely to do things hastily. I did, my friends did, random strangers i meet today do. Just because a select few have proven very capable doesn't mean all are. This is the first thing petsmart has ever done that has made sense to me.
under_control

Postby LJ » Sun Apr 27, 2008 1:28 am

age has very little correlation to responsibility

Really?!?
LJ

Postby fishoverlivingspace » Sun Apr 27, 2008 10:41 am

Yes, really. I really don't have anything else to say about it. There are plenty of irresponsible adults and plenty of responsible teenagers. That's the bottom line. Just because maybe there are more adults that have learned a little bit of responsibility than teenagers doesn't imply that adults are more responsible than teenagers. It implies that there is very little correlation between age and responsibility. Very little means just that: very little. SOME, but not much at all.
fishoverlivingspace

Postby football mom » Sun Apr 27, 2008 2:41 pm

This has been an interesting thread. Although it has been a long time since I was under 18, I can appreciate the frustration of the young person who takes the hobby seriously. On the other hand, I don't see that being over 18 has anything to do with responsibility. I have been glared at many times by a petstore employee when I have butted right in to a "sales pitch" to say,
"You know, those fish just might not work out together", or "How big is your tank? You really need a big tank for those fish". I have no problem at all interjecting my opionions on complete strangers. Usually the prospective buyer will actually listen to what I have to say. And for the most part, they are clueles! I always direct them to a fish forum, or suggest they look on the internet. If just one person takes the advice to heart, maybe one fish will have a chance at a better life.
j
football mom

PreviousNext

Return to General Aquaria Discussion