General Aquaria Discussion • Raphael Catfish...why bother having one?

For general fish and aquarium topics. Including catfish, aquatic plants, ponds, photography, etc.

Moderators: DJRansome, fmueller

Raphael Catfish...why bother having one?

Postby lestatak » Sat Apr 19, 2008 7:49 pm

I have a beautiful Raphael catfish that I never see. The only time I do see him is when I clean the sand under the rocks that he hides under. So why own one if you never see it?
lestatak

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby TheeMon » Sat Apr 19, 2008 8:04 pm

because they talk :)
TheeMon

Postby dwarfpike » Sun Apr 20, 2008 1:28 am

And make great clean up crew for nasty cichlids. After a while and if they have lots of hiding places, I saw mine when feeding the tank. Striped and long nose raphs at least, never kept spotted.
dwarfpike

Postby naegling23 » Mon Apr 21, 2008 8:25 am

I think they are really cool looking, I used to have one, and he was one of my favorite fish. I dont trust them in my dwarf tank though, so I dont have one anymore.

If you dont see them, then you are not staying up late enough :-) They come out at night, so if you want to see them, turn the lights off an hour or so earlier. In my experience, they like to come out almost immediatly after the lights come out. Most nocturnal animals prefer this time period too, at the first sign of darkness they come out, instead of waiting until the middle of the night.
naegling23

Postby cichlidaholic » Mon Apr 21, 2008 2:15 pm

I seriously forgot that I had one. I removed an ornamental piece from a tank, had it sitting on a towel, and heard the raphael chattering inside it.

I agree with you. I'd rather have something I see on occasion!

Kim
110G - Perspicax Red Top Ndumbi, Demasoni, Yellow labs, Metriaclima Callainos

Check out the blog on the home page if you haven't already!!!
cichlidaholic

Postby LJ » Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:08 pm

And make great clean up crew for nasty cichlids

I just ordered one for this purpose but have not recieved it yet. Hopefully it's worth the buy.
LJ

Postby straitjacketstar » Wed Apr 23, 2008 2:11 pm

I don't mind keeping fish I hardly ever see. Makes the few times I do ever see them all that more exciting - if only a little short-lived.
I have midnight catfish, a brown bullhead, a tadpole madtom, a sun catfish and two mustache catfish that I hardly ever see.
When I do catch a glimpse it's like an automatic stop in everything I do and watch as I realize that the fish I forgot I had who's swimming from under one piece of rock or wood to another has gotten really big since I've last seen it. :lol:
straitjacketstar

Postby westwood8183 » Wed Apr 23, 2008 4:42 pm

I think mine is just too fat to hide. :lol: He comes out pretty often right after I turn the tank lights off scrounging for his food.

125, 120, 75, 75, 65, 55, 20, 20 gallon tanks
westwood8183

Postby Bettacreek » Wed Apr 23, 2008 5:19 pm

Hubby has two spotteds. I totally forgot we had them, until I was cleaning the sponge filter and squeezed onto them. Luckily I didn't hurt them (or myself for that matter).
Bettacreek

Postby TheFishGuy » Wed Apr 23, 2008 8:38 pm

Personally I think it's great when you only see them once and a while. I've got a carfish that I don't see for weeks at a time. The last I saw him he was about 8", the time before that he was 5" :lol:
TheFishGuy

Postby Desi<3 » Thu Apr 24, 2008 3:55 pm

I had one and I NeVeR saw it so I traded it in and got a $40 cichlid free!
I <3 my LFS!

But he grew inches between sightings! I have too admit I stopped everything when I saw it and just the few seconds made my day that much better!

My LFS has a 2" shovelnose and I want him SOO bad but my tank isnt big enough! IDK if i would even see him even if I did get a huge tank ( a 400gall would be nice, Wow I could see my moms face if I brought that home :lol: :D )
Desi<3

Postby TheFishGuy » Sat Apr 26, 2008 10:53 pm

too bad he'd outgrow that 400 soon too!
TheFishGuy

Postby lestatak » Sun Apr 27, 2008 3:48 pm

Even when I turn out the lights, he doesn't come out. Only after some time with complete darkness have I seen him.
lestatak

Postby TheFishGuy » Sun Apr 27, 2008 9:42 pm

Not a rapheal but I got a picture of my Leiarius longibarbis last nite around midnight! I was very excited to say the least!
TheFishGuy

Next

Return to General Aquaria Discussion