General Aquaria Discussion • inventions

For general fish and aquarium topics. Including catfish, aquatic plants, ponds, photography, etc.

Moderators: DJRansome, fmueller

Postby heylady » Sat Apr 12, 2008 11:14 pm

I like Desi's idea!! A robot, that would do the trick. Well actually why not? Something like a Roomba only for underwater....

Marduk wrote:

Make a fish net nearly invisible to fish.

They already have them. Made out of clear plastic.

Alex0607 wrote:

But I am looking at setting up a system for water changes. I get tired of hauling pails of water from the bathroom to the tank in my living room. Not to mention the body aches I get.

Python. Best thing EVER.

50g 1 red oscar
heylady

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby spotmonster » Sun Apr 13, 2008 12:51 am

A python with better made components that will not crack, bust. That can sustain high water pressure and a lot more flow. And maybe with a pump attached to the faucet end so you can turn the water off after the flow is started to drain the tank without wasting so much water.

And the one I would make if I had the know how ....Cheap modular plastic background systems in many shapes colors and designs. I can't believe no one has done this besides the one company that's outta their mind on the price $$$. I've seen a few reptile tanks that come with cheaper rock type backgrounds but have not seen anyone marketing them for fish aquariums.
180- "Mostly" Central American tank- viewtopic.php?f=13&t=290962
90- Mixed African "Saltwater" show tank. viewtopic.php?f=4&t=286010
2-40's,4-30's,1-55,1-33
spotmonster

Postby ksk_che_che » Sun Apr 13, 2008 1:42 am

spotmonster wrote:And the one I would make if I had the know how ....Cheap modular plastic background systems in many shapes colors and designs. I can't believe no one has done this besides the one company that's outta their mind on the price $$$. I've seen a few reptile tanks that come with cheaper rock type backgrounds but have not seen anyone marketing them for fish aquariums.

PennPlax has something like this called rocks and caves, the maters kit has all the pieces and it comes in multiple sizes, BUT its not a full "elegant" background like the one your suggesting.

I've thought about buying multiple kits, painting them black to match the background and covering the back glass with them. Over-all appearance might not be pleasing, but it would have tons of territories/hiding places everywhere.
ksk_che_che

Postby Ravenatnm » Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:29 pm

Ispintechno wrote:...a light switch for fish. Inside the tank there could be a small square stuck to the glass the fish could swim up too and bump it with there nose/mouth to turn on/off tank lights (I'm sure a clever fish with some mass could get it). I've fell asleep on the couch before with the tank lights on, woke up and felt bad these little guys with no eyelids got no sleep what-so-ever...

How about using a timer for your lights?
Ravenatnm

Postby iceblue » Tue Apr 22, 2008 6:25 pm

A clear film or spray that can be applied to the inside of an aquarium that absolutely can not be scratched.
iceblue

Postby Marduk » Wed Apr 23, 2008 1:19 am

Make a robot (powered by solar polar (from the aquarium lights?) or an air pump? or just rechargeable batteries?) that climbs on the glass and automatically cleans off any algae, just like those little robots that they sell for cleaning algae and grime in pools.
Marduk

Postby fishoverlivingspace » Wed Apr 23, 2008 1:31 am

spotmonster wrote:A python with better made components that will not crack, bust. That can sustain high water pressure and a lot more flow. And maybe with a pump attached to the faucet end so you can turn the water off after the flow is started to drain the tank without wasting so much water.

Aqueon has actually just come out with a water changer similar to the python, but seems to be a bit more heavy duty!

1. I think it'd be cool if you had an aquarium background that was like those triangular billboards that alternate to advertise three different things on the same board... something that would change backgrounds at the push of a button!

2. An ultra-shock-absorbent cooler for easy and non-stressful fish transport!! :thumb: :fish:
fishoverlivingspace

Postby travis2k » Thu Apr 24, 2008 5:02 pm

I second something for transporting fish, ie) an insulated container, with a watertight lid, that has a built in heater and air bubller, add some shock absorbers and your done.
travis2k

Postby spotmonster » Sun Jun 22, 2008 10:02 pm

Aqueon has actually just come out with a water changer similar to the python, but seems to be a bit more heavy duty!

Interesting they put a valve on the output side, probably handy for vacuming small tanks.

It does look better constructed. I may have to check it out. Though I've made so many mods to my Python, it's probably still better than this one. [/quote]
180- "Mostly" Central American tank- viewtopic.php?f=13&t=290962
90- Mixed African "Saltwater" show tank. viewtopic.php?f=4&t=286010
2-40's,4-30's,1-55,1-33
spotmonster

Previous

Return to General Aquaria Discussion