General Aquaria Discussion • inventions

For general fish and aquarium topics. Including catfish, aquatic plants, ponds, photography, etc.

Moderators: DJRansome, fmueller

inventions

Postby sublimerjm » Tue Apr 08, 2008 10:14 am

I work for an engineering company that is looking to create its own unique product, and thought I would take advantage of this site. I know there has to be a number of things that the fish community could want that isn't widely available. It doesn't really matter what it is just toss it out there. Given you won't be seeing to much in the way of a monetary return but if ends up happening I'll hook you up with one.
sublimerjm

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby Ispintechno » Tue Apr 08, 2008 12:10 pm

I want snap together piping that connects all my tanks so I can watch the fish swim from room to room. It must be cheap, strong and impregnated with an algea resistant resin :)

I'll take a 100ft worth or so :popcorn:
75g African Cichlid tank, 30g Planted Tropical w/C02 reactor, 1000g+ Koi pond

- Matt
Ispintechno

Postby naegling23 » Tue Apr 08, 2008 12:19 pm

cheap protein skimmer for freshwater that would attach to any filter setup.
naegling23

Postby Ispintechno » Tue Apr 08, 2008 12:24 pm

oh, also a fish ball. Like a hamster ball but for fish, with a walking handle and clear paddles inside the ball to aerate the water as you walk down the street. :lol:

Hopefully less stupid - a light switch for fish. Inside the tank there could be a small square stuck to the glass the fish could swim up too and bump it with there nose/mouth to turn on/off tank lights (I'm sure a clever fish with some mass could get it). I've fell asleep on the couch before with the tank lights on, woke up and felt bad these little guys with no eyelids got no sleep what-so-ever...
75g African Cichlid tank, 30g Planted Tropical w/C02 reactor, 1000g+ Koi pond

- Matt
Ispintechno

Postby Bmay1011 » Tue Apr 08, 2008 12:44 pm

Maybe it's out there and I haven't found it yet, but I'd like a simple programmable heater that can be used to create a natural warming/cooling cycle. I think a natural, controlled temperature change would be a nice feature. Given the progress that's being made with day/night lighting solutions, I think it's natural progression. Having a static aquarium temperature seems a little "unnatural" to me.

This product may have good applications for tanks that need to have seasonal temperature swings as well, like many SA Cichlids.

I know this can be accomplished by using separate temperature controllers, but I'd like to see it delivered in one reliable, high quality device.

Basically, a heater with a programmable thermostat.

-Brad

P.S. Is this a purely mechanical idea or are electrical and other ideas acceptable?
Bmay1011

Postby TheeMon » Tue Apr 08, 2008 12:57 pm

how about a Under Gravel Jet or UGJ or an eggtumbler?
TheeMon

Postby Toby_H » Tue Apr 08, 2008 5:53 pm

I like Theemon's idea...

A UGJ... with short rectangle "pipe" (maybe 1/2" high @ 1.5" wide) that connects the jets to the compact submersible pump (even better if you designed the pump with attached fake plants to hide it)...

I have an insertable filtration design but after I put it through a test or two I may try to get it patented myself... so shhhhh....
The happier you make your fish the happier they will make you

Minimum requirements means minimum happiness for all
Toby_H

Postby Alex0607 » Tue Apr 08, 2008 8:52 pm

When ever I have to clean the gravel, I always dread the task of siphoning out the poops. I wish someone would just invent something that will zap the stuff away or direct them nicely into my filtering system once they come off the back of the fish. :D

But I am looking at setting up a system for water changes. I get tired of hauling pails of water from the bathroom to the tank in my living room. Not to mention the body aches I get.
Alex0607

Postby a_c_arnold » Tue Apr 08, 2008 10:37 pm

Ispiintechno, my aquarium lights can be activated by remote control. I don't even have to get off of the couch, yeah I know I'm lazy.
a_c_arnold

Postby kornphlake » Thu Apr 10, 2008 12:13 pm

Some kind of plastic that is clear like glass but stronger, more resistant to scratches, easy to drill and cut, works with high strength adhesives and can be purchased for pennies a pound. 300g tanks shouldn't cost more than $200.

A low cost HOB sump.
kornphlake

Postby Marduk » Thu Apr 10, 2008 6:45 pm

Make a fish net nearly invisible to fish.
Marduk

Postby yogurtpooh » Fri Apr 11, 2008 1:14 am

something that eliminates nitrates
yogurtpooh

Location: So Cal / Garden Grove / Long Beach / Southern California

Postby Marduk » Fri Apr 11, 2008 2:01 am

Glass that won't let algae grow on it.
Marduk

Postby Donfish » Fri Apr 11, 2008 3:53 am

kornphlake wrote:Some kind of plastic that is clear like glass but stronger, more resistant to scratches, easy to drill and cut, works with high strength adhesives and can be purchased for pennies a pound. 300g tanks shouldn't cost more than $200.

I think you want Aluminium oxynitride although it ain't cheap at 10 to 15 bucks a square inch. Darn near Scotty's transparent aluminium.

Aluminium oxynitride
Donfish

Postby Desi<3 » Sat Apr 12, 2008 11:03 pm

Ooooooh I have to best one yet!
A ROBOT that will feed the fish, clean the tank, AND pay for any new $50 fish you want (you know coming out of it pocket not mine)! :lol:
No really could you do that?
Desi<3

Next

Return to General Aquaria Discussion