General Aquaria Discussion • Plecos and Cichlids

For general fish and aquarium topics. Including catfish, aquatic plants, ponds, photography, etc.

Moderators: DJRansome, fmueller

Do you have plecos in your cichlid tank?

Yes I do
75%
No I don't
25%

Total votes : 55

Postby chapman76 » Tue Sep 04, 2007 3:51 pm

I've got various types of bristlenose (regular, albino, calico, long fin) and a para pleco. A long fin bristlenose is a gorgeous fish. I keep my long fin ones in my fry tanks. That way they get to keep their long beautiful fins. Little 1/2" fish seem to leave a 6-8" fish alone pretty well.
chapman76

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby punk_123 » Tue Sep 04, 2007 7:24 pm

my cichlids always try to eat plecos.... so i kind of gave up
punk_123

Postby BlackShark11k » Tue Sep 04, 2007 8:02 pm

punk_123 wrote:my cichlids always try to eat plecos.... so i kind of gave up

Heh, my plecos kinda eat cichlids...or at least their big enough to pick off the smaller of my CA/SA and even Africans :lol:
BlackShark11k

Postby Cich of it all » Wed Sep 05, 2007 8:33 am

VampirePleco wrote:No one should ever buy Plecos for algae removal, I mean that is what Algae Scrapers are for! Plecos produce a lot of poop, so they may take of one mess but create another :wink:

People should only get Plecos because they actually like Plecos!

I actually like plecos, that's why I keep them. Wht do I like them? Because they do a great job of keeping algae under control. I probably would have none if they didn't eat the algae. The mess they produce (poop) is easily sucked up by my filters. The mess they take care of (algae) can otherwise only be removed by scraping. That may not be a problem for someone that keeps one or two tanks, but I have 8 tanks, and I'd rather spend the time watching the fish.
Another factor is that sand can easily scratch glass when scraping, so the less I scrape, the less likely I am to have a scratched tank.
Buy a Monster Fish Rescue T-shirt!:http://monsterfishrescue.com/cart/
Cich of it all

Postby cjenki20 » Wed Sep 05, 2007 11:56 am

I used to have a pleco in a previous tank but had a problem when the tank had to be broken down and fish sold/given away. Nobody wanted the pleco because of its size, 10''+ Finally found a LFS that would take him. (Brand new store opening, guess they were trying to build a good relationship)

So, when I set up the tank again after a couple of years being in storage, I didn't add a pleco and went in search of another algae eater that would stand up to living in an Mbuna tank. Guess what? nothing that eats algae from glass walls stands much of a chance of surviving (unhurt) in that kind of tank except plecos. Talked to all the local LFS stores I could get a hold of and found one that will *buy* back the pleco as it gets larger. He said the he has quite a few commercial tanks that he sets up and maintains that are always looking for larger plecos to add to their tanks as they have hard time getting them. So I bought the pleco and he is happy as can be, he gets chased away from the breeding sites in the tank but otherwise is very happy.

Oh as as for the scraping thing. Pain in the rear trying to do that when you have alot of decoration/rocks/plants in a tank.

Advantage-- they work great and save a bit of hassle, and they are inexpensive at least the common ones are.
Disadvantage-- can be difficult to pass on when they start to get too big for your tank.

CJ
cjenki20

Postby star rider » Wed Sep 05, 2007 3:46 pm

I keep BN's in many of my tanks. the albino's are my favorites.

I think you need to keep in mind which cichlids you keep.

I keep mostly Discus and Angels with a Bolivian ram thrown in here and there.

The bn's are good tank mates in these tanks.

the BN's are odd looking and I like them ...I love the bristles on the males.

the extra benefit is that they do keep the glass clean.
star rider

Previous

Return to General Aquaria Discussion