General Aquaria Discussion • Quarantine tank, signs of aggression, need advice

For general fish and aquarium topics. Including catfish, aquatic plants, ponds, photography, etc.

Moderators: DJRansome, fmueller

Quarantine tank, signs of aggression, need advice

Postby Onmytrek » Tue Jun 08, 2021 7:47 pm

Hi, I’m a first timer here and need advice about my quarantine tank I just set up and there is signs of aggression/ bullying already..

There are 5 peacock/ haps In there, all juveniles and one is just picking on everyone. My question is will this eventually end , once they established who’s who or will I need to separate the aggressor ? It’s only been a few hours and do t want to comeback to shredded fins or anything worse.

I successfully set up my first 125 gallon mixed tank a week ago and they are doing fine. That situation was a bit easier to deal with because the smaller guys had room to run/ hide and adjust. But with this small 16 gallon quarantine tank I have my new fish in they have no where to run and are kinda stuck with the bully.

Am I over think g this ? Will they be fine ? There’s no visible damage at the moment but i feel like it will get worse.
And tips or suggestions is much appreciated. Thanks
Onmytrek

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Quarantine tank, signs of aggression, need advice

Postby DJRansome » Tue Jun 08, 2021 8:04 pm

Five haps and peacocks in a 16 gallon tank for 3 weeks. How many are already in the 125G? That may be too many to add at once.

What are the species? Assume they are all males?
125G Borleyi, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Similis, Petricola
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby Onmytrek » Wed Jun 09, 2021 12:52 am

Sorry should have been more specific. In the 125g there are a total of 10. 7 of them are a mixture of peacocks and haps, and 3 are mbuna.
In the quarantine tank there are a total of 5. Mixture of peacocks and haps. I think two are haps and three are peacocks. I don’t know the species becuase I bought them at my LFS and the tank was labeled as “mixed” peacocks or haps.
I wish they were all males but I’m sure there are a few females mixed in there in both tanks. They are too small to determine sex right now
Onmytrek

Postby DJRansome » Wed Jun 09, 2021 8:18 am

So mixing genders and hybrids is a recipe for harrassment, both in your 16G tank and in your 125G tank as well. Not to mention mbuna with haps and peacocks.

When you have a variety of individual fish (as opposed to groups of the same species) you want to stock all one gender and no two fish that look alike. What is your goal for the 125G?

For the moment (just for today) put the one aggressor in the 16G in a breeder box.

If you can determine the fish you have are the fish you want to end up with I would get at least one more quarantine tank and cycle it with media from the established tank and split the new guys between the two quarantine tanks.
125G Borleyi, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Similis, Petricola
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Return to General Aquaria Discussion