Cichlid Fish Forum banner

75 gallon mbuna tank

892 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  DJRansome 
#1 ·
I'm starting a 75 gallon mbuna tank. My ph is 8.0-8.2, gh 14-15, kh 8-9. If i add crushed coral would that be a good or a bad thing or am i better off just leaving it alone. I dont want my paramaters to be changing all the time i like to keep it consistent. I have read that people use crushed coral for african cichlids so i was just wondering if it would do harm to the fish. Thanks for any help i'm an experienced fishkeeper but new to african cichlids.

#2 ·
If your parameters are already good, no need to add crushed coral. IMO it is not attractive and not the best substrate for the fish. If you want extra safety you could put crushed coral in one of your filter media baskets.

Let your water sit on the counter for 24 hours after it came out of the faucet and then test. This is your true result. You can test the tank during the six weeks that you cycle without fish to confirm that your pH will be stable.

#3 ·
DJRansome said:
...Let your water sit on the counter for 24 hours after it came out of the faucet and then test. This is your true result. You can test the tank during the six weeks that you cycle without fish to confirm that your pH will be stable.
I can let my tap water sit out on the counter for a week and the pH won't change. The only way it changes is if I aerate it with an air pump. Then it gradually comes down over the course of 24-48 hours. I'm afraid I'm in for some nasty pH swings, because there's no way I can aerate 25 gallons of water for 48 hours every time I do a water change.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.