Aquarium Setup • Neglected 100 gallon tank revamped

New to the world of cichlids? For discussion on how to set up new tanks, including placement, filtration, substrates, water, etc. No stocking discussions here.

Moderators: fmueller, Mcdaphnia

Neglected 100 gallon tank revamped

Postby Manyhats07 » Fri Jun 12, 2020 10:14 am

I couldn't figure out how to post pictures without them taking up the whole screen, so here are links to imgur albums:

https://imgur.com/gallery/qRKmvYR#fDDEWTA

Before:
https://imgur.com/gallery/x8nD2lW

I almost sold my aquarium because I only had 1 12+ year old yellow lab in it and wasn't maintaining it. It had been at least a year since a water change, filter cleaning etc. and I was resigned to selling the tank once the fish died. Quarantine motivated me, so I went scouting for driftwood and rocks, removed the gravel, did many water changes, replaced uv bulb, rebuilt/replaced pumps ...and picked up some fry from a local seller.

I've had the adult electric yellow for 12+ years. I feel bad I neglected him, but he seems happy now.

I changed from t6 lights to an LED strip from fluval today. I'm still playing with settings. It isn't as bright as the t6, but is way more efficient. It is interesting to vary the lighting throughout the day, and I think it is bright enough.

The fry are yellow lab/bumblebee hybrids. I got 20 of them and they are growing very quickly.
Manyhats07

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Neglected 100 gallon tank revamped

Postby shiftyfox » Fri Jun 12, 2020 12:00 pm

No water change in a year - wowzers...
shiftyfox

Postby Manyhats07 » Fri Jun 12, 2020 12:29 pm

shiftyfox wrote:No water change in a year - wowzers...

Not ideal, but it was a single 4.5" fish in 100 gallons. If nitrates were high, they crept up gradually. It has been 2 weeks since my last water change and nitrates were 5ppm yesterday with the same 4.5" inch lab and 20 x 1.5-2" fry, all being fed way more frequently than when it was just the 1 (He grazed mostly on algae and I'd feed him pellets a couple of times a week. They are now fed twice a day)
Manyhats07

Postby cyclonecichlids » Fri Jun 12, 2020 2:00 pm

The tank looks great! What kind of wood is it and where did you find it?
Mbipia Lutea keeper / breeder in So Cal.
www.fb.me/VictorianCichlids
cyclonecichlids

Postby Manyhats07 » Fri Jun 12, 2020 3:00 pm

cyclonecichlids wrote:The tank looks great! What kind of wood is it and where did you find it?

Thanks. I don't know the type of wood. It came from the beach of a local canoe, kayak and sailing club that I helped clean up.
Manyhats07

Postby tacs » Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:38 am

That is a really nice tank shape. Glad you are back to being excited about your tank. It is amazing how much an African cichlid can suffer through. Funny how it goes sometimes. You dote all over them and they have problems and you ignore them and they do ok. Take it slow and keep an eye on your water parameters. The increase in attention and fish could increase the load on your filtration system. :thumb:
John

Keeping fish since 1971
40 tanks
breeding mostly African Cichlids
tacs

Return to Aquarium Setup