Aquarium Setup • New Mbuna Tank

New to the world of cichlids? For discussion on how to set up new tanks, including placement, filtration, substrates, water, etc. No stocking discussions here.

Moderators: fmueller, Mcdaphnia

New Mbuna Tank

Postby Huey64 » Mon May 11, 2020 11:26 pm

Hi I am getting back into Cichlids after about a 12 yr lay-off. I am purchasing a 90 gallon tank tomorrow. I’d like to see if I can get some of your advice. I’d like to go with Mbuna with a Holey rock/fake Holey rock motif with some fake plants. Where’s the best place to get fake Holey rock?
As far as the fish, I guess I’m looking for a mix of about 25-30 around 2” with 2 females and a male of maybe 8-9 species?
Along with some plecos and synodontis cats. Can you recommend some? Obviously looking for colorful/uniqueness but also like some omnivores where I can occasionally feed them live brine or guppies.
Thanks in advance for your help.
Huey
Huey64

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: New Mbuna Tank

Postby shiftyfox » Tue May 12, 2020 4:10 am

Some 4 species colour combos for your tank..

Group 1
Saulosi
White Labs
Acei,
Maingano

Group 2
Yellow Labs
Acei
Rusty
Maingano

Group 3
Msobo
Acei
Perlmutt
Rusty

Group 4
White Top Hara
Maingano
Yellow labs
Albino Socolofi
shiftyfox

Re: New Mbuna Tank

Postby DJRansome » Tue May 12, 2020 8:09 am

Pairs tend not to do well with harem breeders like mbuna and other cichlids from Lake Malawi. The fewer females/male the more likely the males are to kill the females (accidentally). I have never had luck with trios or even quads. Think in terms of 4 species with 1m:4f of each group to manage aggression and keep everyone healthy.

Skip the mbuna if you want a tank where you can feed guppies. The protein for mbuna comes from microscopic organisms that live in the algae they eat.

Synodontis in a group of 5, either lucipinnis (a.k.a. dwarf petricola) or multipunctatus are a good fit. If you also want a pleco, a single bristlenose usually survives with mbuna.
125G Borleyi, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Similis, Petricola
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Return to Aquarium Setup