Aquarium Setup • Egg Crate

New to the world of cichlids? For discussion on how to set up new tanks, including placement, filtration, substrates, water, etc. No stocking discussions here.

Moderators: fmueller, Mcdaphnia

Egg Crate

Postby Adam84 » Thu May 07, 2020 8:01 am

Hi all,

Our tank build has been a slow process but we are moving again, we have egg crate as the wife cannot live with rock on the glass, haha. Question is, is it best to fill all the holes with sand then place rocks then add the rest of the sand, or just add rock on top then add sand?

Thank you
Adam84

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Egg Crate

Postby aconite » Thu May 07, 2020 8:13 am

Hi,

I'm no expert, but when I do it I just place the rocks onto the egg crate, then add the sand afterwards. The sand tends to find its way into little gaps. Your fish will rearrange the sand anyway - one of mine excavates those little egg crate holes in his cave, so I end up being able to see the stuff.
aconite

Postby Deeda » Thu May 07, 2020 9:59 am

I agree with aconite that if you use the egg crate, place the rocks first than add the sand. You may want to consider just using the egg crate under the rocks and not the entire bottom of the tank because as noted above, the egg crate will be visible once the fish move the sand around.

I ended up removing all my egg crate in the 220G tank as it became an eyesore when the sand is moved. It also traps debris more than just sand alone.
Fishless Cycling
Posting Pics Eff. June 20, 2017, Photobucket does not allow free pic hosting

Dee
Eheim filter user
Member since 3/7/2006
Deeda

Postby Adam84 » Thu May 07, 2020 10:49 am

Thank you for the replies, I will go as originally planned with crate, rock and sand.

Don’t think I could bring myself to just put all the rock on the glass.
Adam84

Return to Aquarium Setup