Aquarium Setup • Tank size question

New to the world of cichlids? For discussion on how to set up new tanks, including placement, filtration, substrates, water, etc. No stocking discussions here.

Moderators: fmueller, Mcdaphnia

Tank size question

Postby Dooner » Tue Apr 21, 2020 8:38 pm

I have maxed out my current 210 gallon tank with number of fish. I also have a 40 and 65 that are set up as specie specific. Beyond that I have a 10 gallon that is for juvies or a quarantine tank as need dictates. Lastly, a 20 high that I have been moving females from the 210 into as I am working towards the 210 being a mixed male Malawi tank. After a period of time I will rehome the females, but I want to wait a bit of time to verify that they are not males. I think I need to have a bigger tank for the females and hybrids that happen in the 210. It wouldn't be out in a living space. It will be in an unfinished side of the basement with the other tanks. I have read on this site that a 48” tank, either a 55 or 75 is really not the greatest tank for Malawi fish, but I really don’t want to spend the money for a six ft tank. What thoughts can you offer?
Dooner

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Tank size question

Postby DJRansome » Tue Apr 21, 2020 8:47 pm

If your fish all mature at six inches or less and are peaceful and are mostly female I would say you might keep 20 fish in a 75G 48x18 tank.

What species are they?

Remember if you have peacock females of different species in the tank, you probably cannot ID the species and thus it will be hard to rehome them.

Also a male may not color up in the tank if he is not dominant.
125G Borleyi, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Similis, Petricola
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Return to Aquarium Setup