Aquarium Setup • New here, well returning, with a new tank and some questions

New to the world of cichlids? For discussion on how to set up new tanks, including placement, filtration, substrates, water, etc. No stocking discussions here.

Moderators: fmueller, Mcdaphnia

New here, well returning, with a new tank and some questions

Postby JimSparks » Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:05 pm

Hello everyone

I haven't been around for years. I've been out of the hobby for years as well. I am back. The 6-year-old twins and 2-year-old baby girl want fish...daddy is going to get them fish. I have a 40 gallon breeder all set up and ready. I completed the stand a couple of days ago. Cleaned and painted the back of the tank tonight. I know this is an odd size tank for cichlids, but it fit perfectly into my office and I am more than happy with it.

Now on to some questions, I've got 2 Aquaclear 70s, a 300-watt heater, 100 pounds of pool sand and 1 really neat, but small, piece of driftwood. That may go away depending on what I set up. Still need some basics...like nets and siphon and such. Next on the list is a glass top and some light.

I would love to set up a dwarf Mbuna tank but all the research over the last couple of days has lead me to believe that is not the best choice. We plan to set up something like a 125 or 180 once the basement is done. I think that would be better suited for an African tank. Or discus. Who knows. But I am looking for opinions.

I was thinking a low-tech planted tank with a blue acara, 3 Blue rams, a BN pleco and some schoolers of some sort. Thoughts?

Pics are always good too right?

Thanks
Jim

20200407_203014.jpg

20200407_203008.jpg

20200407_203051.jpg

20200407_203102.jpg
JimSparks

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: New here, well returning, with a new tank and some quest

Postby DJRansome » Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:59 pm

What are the dimensions? Looks like recommendations for a pair of acara is 48" minimum.
125G Borleyi, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Similis, Petricola
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby JimSparks » Tue Apr 07, 2020 10:48 pm

36x18x18. I was thinking maybe just a single acara. I'm not particularly sold on anything. Taking the time to do this right. The kids just want fish they can watch. And blue fish. Have to have some blue fish.
JimSparks

Postby SoccerMbunaAndShak » Wed Apr 08, 2020 1:02 pm

You could try something like a colony of rams of some sort. You might be able to get away with a dwarf mbuna tank, but I think something like Julidochromis or other small Tanganyikans like shell dwellers would work better. Also, I think the Tanganyikan setup might be more entertaining for the kids.
SoccerMbunaAndShak

Postby DJRansome » Wed Apr 08, 2020 4:44 pm

Not getting the blue though with the rams and Tangs.

The only mbuna I would recommend for 36" is single species Chindongo saulosi (still listed as Pseudotropheus in CF profiles) tank. One blue fish, but at least he is a beauty. And the females are

Or I guess a timid peacock like Aulonocara kandeense with one blue male and the rest brown/silver females.
125G Borleyi, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Similis, Petricola
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Return to Aquarium Setup