Aquarium Setup • Tank mates for shellies?

New to the world of cichlids? For discussion on how to set up new tanks, including placement, filtration, substrates, water, etc. No stocking discussions here.

Moderators: fmueller, Mcdaphnia

Tank mates for shellies?

Postby fishybuisness » Fri Apr 03, 2020 6:26 pm

Hello,
I am new to the cichlid hobby and would like to set up a Tanganyikan aquarium! I would like a small colony of shell dwellers, and maybe some others! I heard that j.transcriptus and c.Leptosoma are good tank mates!
I am particularly interested in n.brevis, similis or n.multifasciatus. What would be a good mix I have a 33 gallon breeder 36x12x18!
I also have a synodontis petricoli that I could add, as well.

Thank you, for sharing your thoughts and experiences!
fishybuisness

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Tank mates for shellies?

Postby DJRansome » Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:22 pm

Don't add the synodontis with the shellies. I would do multifasciatus and Julidochromis...a small, peaceful species like Gombe.
125G Borleyi, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Similis, Petricola
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby fishybuisness » Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:13 pm

Thanks, what is a good number of multies? And can I keep any plants with them?
Thank you!
fishybuisness

Postby DJRansome » Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:43 pm

Six multies and they will multiply. Six Julidochromis and 2 will form a pair...try to kill the other 4. Rehome the other 4 before they are harmed.

Shellies dig so no plants in the substrate. You could try java fern or anubias attached to rocks if you want the effort of a planted tank.
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby fishguy1978 » Tue Apr 07, 2020 3:41 pm

I have a 100g multi tank that housed Cyprichromis Leptosoma as well. I sold off the C.L. I do have a Synodontis multipunctatus housed with them to help with population control. I also have a 55g with a syn Angelicus and two pairs of mulites and a small juvie that was in one of the shells transferred between tanks during setup. The inclusion of the S. multipunctatus has not effected the spawning of the mulites. Yet to see with the S. Angelicus
100g_Shellies.jpg

Syn_Angenlicus4.jpg
fishguy1978

Postby DJRansome » Tue Apr 07, 2020 5:23 pm

It is not a spawning thing with the Syno/shellie combination. It is loss of natural behavior by the shellies with the Synos slithering over their shells all the time.
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby fishguy1978 » Tue Apr 07, 2020 5:47 pm

DJRansome wrote:It is not a spawning thing with the Syno/shellie combination. It is loss of natural behavior by the shellies with the Synos slithering over their shells all the time.

I have been really enjoying how the shellies have interacted with the angelicus. I would have thought that they would spend all their time hiding in the shells. They continue their bulldozer activities and the typical territorial spats.
fishguy1978

Return to Aquarium Setup