Aquarium Setup • New to the hobby

New to the world of cichlids? For discussion on how to set up new tanks, including placement, filtration, substrates, water, etc. No stocking discussions here.

Moderators: fmueller, Mcdaphnia

New to the hobby

Postby Granobulax » Mon Feb 03, 2020 11:31 pm

I'm new to the aquarium hobby and wanted to run by my setup and get some feedback. My aquarium is 55 gallons and houses one African Cichlid, one painted turtle, one plecostomus, and several minnows as feeders for the turtle.

I have a power filter rated up to 60 gallons and a canister filter rated up to 65 gallons. I over filtrate due to turtles being very messy. I keep the water temperature at 80°F.

I bought several decorations which have holes for my Cichlid to hide in. I purposely bought an aggressive Cichlid to be tank mates with my painted turtle and so far has worked out wonderfully.

Is there anything I'm missing to do? Does my tank look suitable? I have gotten sound advice about my turtle from reptile forums but haven't checked to see if I'm doing right by my Cichlid. I've only had my turtle for 2 months and my Cichlid for about 1 month and I'm open to criticism to better my aquarium for both of my aquatic critters. Thanks!
Attachments
20200203_200616.jpg
20200203_191151.jpg
20200203_191121.jpg
20200203_190841.jpg
20200203_190837.jpg
20200203_190802.jpg
Granobulax

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: New to the hobby

Postby DJRansome » Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:55 am

Welcome to Cichlid-forum!!

In general turtles are too dirty for cichlids. You want your nitrates to be 20ppm or under which I understand is difficult with turtles. I would expect the turtle to harm or try to harm both the cichlid and the pleco. African rift lake cichlids like the one you have like to be in large groups.

I would set up separate tanks for the cichlid/pleco and the turtle.
125G Borleyi, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Similis, Petricola
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby ken31cay » Tue Feb 04, 2020 12:10 pm

DJRansome wrote:I would set up separate tanks for the cichlid/pleco and the turtle.

+1.

I kept painted turtles years ago, even bred them a few times. They can be really beautiful, especially the males. A fully-filled fish aquarium is no place for fresh water turtles. If you had the tank filled to only 2-4 inches (depending on size of turtle) then it would be more acceptable. But they really need a place to be able to crawl out of the water and bask in light or sun. They could conceivably drown in a full tank.

Painted turtles could nip/bite and even eventually try to eat any fish in your tank, even big ones.

If you have another large tank, fill it with enough water to cover the turtle's shell but to allow her head to reach the surface to breath. Put in a wooden log (not a rock or stone) which she can climb on and rest in the light. I used to add crushed eggshell to my water periodically to maintain healthy turtle's shell.
450gal Frontosa (blue Zaire Moba) & haps
180gal Labeotropheus Trewavasae Chilumba & Kenyi
ken31cay

Postby chazeltine » Tue Feb 04, 2020 12:15 pm

Can anyone ID the black Mbuna pictured? I have a juvie like it that came with a tank I bought.
chazeltine

Postby DJRansome » Tue Feb 04, 2020 3:28 pm

I think the Q about ID is in Unidentified Cichlids forum.
125G Borleyi, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Similis, Petricola
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Return to Aquarium Setup