Aquarium Setup • Nitrates too high

New to the world of cichlids? For discussion on how to set up new tanks, including placement, filtration, substrates, water, etc. No stocking discussions here.

Moderators: fmueller, Mcdaphnia

Nitrates too high

Postby hoofy888 » Sat Dec 28, 2019 10:35 am

I did a water test and everything is good except the nitrates are very high. I have done water changes and it’s good for a day but then goes back up. How can I lower? Tank is a 125 gallon. Running fluval fx4 and an aquaclear 110. Have 28 Malawi cichlids (haps and peacocks) from 1-4 inches. I do water changes 40% every 2 weeks. Just ordered an eheim classic 600 for additional filtration. Any help is appreciated. Thank you.
hoofy888

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Nitrates too high

Postby Deeda » Sat Dec 28, 2019 11:48 am

How high are the nitrates?

I suggest increasing your water changes to 50% weekly to lower the nitrate level. Adding more filtration does NOT remove nitrate. You may also need to clean the filters more frequently as any waste in those filters will continue to break down and increase the nitrate level in the tank.

If this is a newly set up tank, just perform water changes and leave the filters alone unless you see noticeable waste build up in the filters.
Fishless Cycling
Posting Pics Eff. June 20, 2017, Photobucket does not allow free pic hosting

Dee
Eheim filter user
Member since 3/7/2006
Deeda

Postby cyclonecichlids » Sat Dec 28, 2019 2:35 pm

Deeda wrote:How high are the nitrates?

I suggest increasing your water changes to 50% weekly to lower the nitrate level. Adding more filtration does NOT remove nitrate. You may also need to clean the filters more frequently as any waste in those filters will continue to break down and increase the nitrate level in the tank.

If this is a newly set up tank, just perform water changes and leave the filters alone unless you see noticeable waste build up in the filters.

I agree with this post. Nitrates are a byproduct of bacteria eating up the ammonia/nitrite. Additional filtration will not help decrease nitrate. Water change, cleaning filters, and adding plants will decrease nitrates.

I would do the following to bring your nitrate levels down:
  • clean out your filter immediately
  • cut down on feeding
  • do 40% daily water changes until nitrate levels are down
  • add live plants to the tank (try pothos)
  • switch to doing 50% wc once a week

28 fish is not that many in a 125. You are most likely overfeeding.
Mbipia Lutea keeper / breeder in So Cal.
https://www.facebook.com/MbipiaLutea/
cyclonecichlids

Postby hoofy888 » Sat Dec 28, 2019 2:53 pm

Thanks for the advice. Will do the proper water changes and add some plants. I think it may be over feeding. I’ll cut back on that and continue to monitor. By the way, this tank has been running for about a year.
hoofy888

Postby ken31cay » Sat Dec 28, 2019 4:23 pm

cyclonecichlids wrote:
Deeda wrote:How high are the nitrates?

I agree with this post. Nitrates are a byproduct of bacteria eating up the ammonia/nitrite. Additional filtration will not help decrease nitrate. Water change, cleaning filters, and adding plants will decrease nitrates.

I would do the following to bring your nitrate levels down:
  • clean out your filter immediately
  • cut down on feeding
  • do 40% daily water changes until nitrate levels are down
  • add live plants to the tank (try pothos)
  • switch to doing 50% wc once a week

28 fish is not that many in a 125. You are most likely overfeeding.

+1

Increase water changes to at least 50% weekly. Also, maybe a deep cleaning of substrate/under rocks is needed.
450gal Frontosa (blue Zaire Moba) & haps
180gal Labeotropheus Trewavasae Chilumba & Kenyi
ken31cay

Return to Aquarium Setup