Aquarium Setup • Mbunas in a 40 gallon breeder question??

New to the world of cichlids? For discussion on how to set up new tanks, including placement, filtration, substrates, water, etc. No stocking discussions here.

Moderators: fmueller, Mcdaphnia

Mbunas in a 40 gallon breeder question??

Postby ajiisss » Fri Dec 20, 2019 3:51 pm

Hi I have a 40 gallon breeder aquarium with 4 yellow labs in it juveniles.. I am planning to add some demasoins to the tank...
I talked to some ciclid keepers and they said I can add 5 more demasonis in the tank.. I know demasonis can be aggressive... also my tank might be less size...
please advice .. is there any other colorful mbunas as well?
ajiisss

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Mbunas in a 40 gallon breeder question??

Postby Iggy Newcastle » Fri Dec 20, 2019 6:07 pm

Welcome to C-F.

In my experience, a 3' tank is insufficient for just about any Lake Malawi cichlid. That being said, some members have had success with certain species; yellow labs being one of them.

I wouldn't attempt Demasoni in a 40 breeder. It is a species that does best in big numbers. If you had a 4' tank, I'd suggest buying at least 20 juveniles to start. In a 40 breeder with 5 Dems, you'd be down to a lone fish within months. Even the females are aggressive.

I would stock more Lab juveniles. Get that number to 10-12 fish. As they mature, you'll likely have to remove a male, or several males. Keep all the females.

Another suggestion would be to sell your existing fish and stock with Chindongo Saulosi. FKA Pseudotropheus. You'll get yellow/orange with the girls, and a dark, blue bared fish with the males. Similar to Demasoni.
Iggy Newcastle

Postby ajiisss » Sat Dec 21, 2019 12:38 pm

Thanks that's awesome..i am seriously thinking about it
ajiisss

Postby Iggy Newcastle » Sat Dec 21, 2019 1:53 pm

:thumb:
Iggy Newcastle

Return to Aquarium Setup