Aquarium Setup • Automatic water changes

New to the world of cichlids? For discussion on how to set up new tanks, including placement, filtration, substrates, water, etc. No stocking discussions here.

Moderators: fmueller, Mcdaphnia

Automatic water changes

Postby Adam_hupac » Sun Oct 06, 2019 11:05 pm

Has anyone found a successful way to set up an automatic water change system? I live in chicago so I have pretty consistent water quality high in chlorine. I currently have a water line run to my 60 gal tank with an overflow drain system. Is there a filter I can put on the fresh water line that will allow me to add 6-10 gal a day of fresh water so I do not have to do water changes?
Adam_hupac

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Automatic water changes

Postby Hock » Tue Oct 29, 2019 1:45 pm

The usual way to do it is a 3 part cartridge system ran through an irrigation drip system on a timer. Your tanks can either all be drilled and plumbed to a central drain or using a siphon method. For water conditioner, you can go with a dosing pump.
Hock

Postby jntrotman » Fri Nov 22, 2019 6:45 pm

I've heard some good reviews on this product - you can find it on Amazon. (Garden Hose Filter - Removes Chlorine, Chloramines, VOCs, & Pesticides/Herbicides),

https://www.amazon.com/Garden-Hose-Filt ... =8-1-fkmr0
Attachments
Chlorine Remover.PNG
Chlorine Remover.PNG (87.84 KiB) Viewed 849 times
jntrotman

Postby LoraMoser » Tue Dec 17, 2019 3:40 am

That sounds very complicated and expensive to me with expensive controller, storage tank, pumps and everything else.

Either way you have to run line from your storage room to your tank and somehow get the water out. Why not do a continuous drip system with 1/4" semi-rigid hose in black or the standard translucent white - dirt cheap at around 17c/ft at Rona. I just ran 40 feet from my basement to my tank. The pipe is hardly noticeable.

The trick is now draining overflow away.

I am planning to use the existing sump and using it as an overflow reservoir. Now all I need is a practically a sump pump to discharge the water, with a 3/8 translucent rigid plastic line, when it is at high level much like a normal house sump work. Except a normal sump pump may be too noise. I am planning on using the proven float bob but tie that to a mag drive or something that will provide you with the head to push the water up up and over your ceiling to drain. I have only about 3 ft of head to deal with.

To make this fail safe. I am planning to use tie the supply to a solenoid which will turn off either with a mini high level float switch or with power failure to avoid overflow of the sump. depending on the size of your tank, sump and the drip rate, your pump may only need to come on once or twice a day.

Ah, supply is tempered water through a carbon filter.

Cost:
40 ft 1/4 supply line at $0.17/ft = $6.80
plus plumbing fitting say $10
supply line 1/4" solenoid = $25
40 ft of 3/8 discharge line at say $0.25/ft = $10
plus plumbing fitting say $10.
Sump pump float bob = $35 (actually free as I stripped that from an old sump pump that died)
Pump, say $80 (also free as I am going to adapt the existing sump pump to the 3/8" drain line.
high level cut off mini switch $10 (cut off supply on power failure or if sump pump die).
misc electrical supply $10

The cost for the complete system including drain pump around $200-$250 if I have to buy everything new. Electrical circuit is simple 110V house power with minimal fancy electronic.
Not sure why I want to spent hundreds on electronic that may be prone to failure.

I have a similar auto top up system running for over 10 years without a single incidence.

The only expensive part for my setup up (if you cannot do your own plumbing is the tempered valve which is hooked directly to my water system when I replaced the HW tank. Otherwise the temp control was $50 hardware from HomeDepot using to prevent scalding from lavatory or shower. Cheaper than keeping a tank of water tempered with a heater. Alternately, you can hook up a $50 Hydor in-line heater to the supply.

I am hoping to have that up and running this weekend if you want to drop by to take a look. MrBob, you are welcome to drop by any time if you want to check it out and discuss. There are many options depending on the particular situation. The sump pump would not be necessary if I have gravity flow to drain.

Regardless of how reliable the system is, I always have someone come in to feed the fish and keep at eye on any unforeseen system glitch.
Even a running tank could start leaking. Sadly, it happened to me the only time when it was just a long weekend away when I did not think it was necessary to ask my friend to feed my fish and check on the system. Good thing that was not on a auto top-up.
Don't judge each day by the harvest you reap but by the seeds that you plant.
LoraMoser

Return to Aquarium Setup