Aquarium Setup • Swapping Stocking/tanks

New to the world of cichlids? For discussion on how to set up new tanks, including placement, filtration, substrates, water, etc. No stocking discussions here.

Moderators: fmueller, Mcdaphnia

Swapping Stocking/tanks

Postby ShadowPhoenix » Sun Sep 15, 2019 1:40 pm

I currently have a 55gal ran on a Fluval 305 currently stocked with Auratus, a Kenya, and OB Peacock along with two generic plecos and catfish I never ended up getting identified. I’ve been contemplating redoing the decor with a full clean out and switching from the generic colored gravel, to the African Cichlids Rift Lake sand that I used in my 29g which is currently stocked with my Electric Blue Hap & OB Peacock hybrid fry/Juveniles.

I’m curious if anyone has and advice or tips on what would be the best method(s) of swapping out the substrate from the gravel to the sand which could sustain suitable bacterial conditions when I rehouse some of the stocking currently in the 55 and then swap stocking with the fry/juveniles into the 55....?

(Apologies if my detailing was confusing)
Aquarist since January 2017
55G: 48 x 12.75 x 19 - Established 3MAY17
Scianochromis Ahli / OB Peacock(F) / Labidochromis Caeruleus / Pseudotropheus Lombardoi(F) / Auratus / 3x Plecos
ShadowPhoenix

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Swapping Stocking/tanks

Postby DJRansome » Sun Sep 15, 2019 2:30 pm

Clean both substrates well. Remove rocks and décor. Scoop the gravel out...are you going to reuse? If not trash bag. Put back the rocks on the glass before the sand.

Scoop the sand into the 55G or transfer via bucket. Use a clean dust pan to scoop large amounts at once.
125G Borleyi, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Similis, Petricola
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby ShadowPhoenix » Mon Sep 16, 2019 4:03 pm

Yeah I’ve had that already preplanned out from past projects. What I’ve been struggling to figure out is with the filtration systems I’ve got between the two tanks would allow the best possible establishment of bacteria?
Scianochromis Ahli / OB Peacock(F) / Labidochromis Caeruleus / Pseudotropheus Lombardoi(F) / Auratus / 3x Plecos
ShadowPhoenix

Postby DJRansome » Mon Sep 16, 2019 4:22 pm

If your filters and glass/rocks/décor are undisturbed then no problem.

If you are not reusing the gravel, put it in mesh media bags in the 55G for 2 weeks after the sand is added and then it should be safe to remove them.
125G Borleyi, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Similis, Petricola
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby ShadowPhoenix » Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:48 am

Awesome thanks
ShadowPhoenix

Return to Aquarium Setup