Aquarium Setup • Tropheus Duboisi Aquarium

New to the world of cichlids? For discussion on how to set up new tanks, including placement, filtration, substrates, water, etc. No stocking discussions here.

Moderators: fmueller, Mcdaphnia

Re: Tropheus Duboisi Aquarium

Postby Iggy Newcastle » Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:47 am

I have never, ever, had the API kit show 0 ppm ammonia. I'll test tank vs tap vs bottled. Always somewhere between 0 and .25. Maybe double up the shrimp? Get a good detectable reading and monitor?
Iggy Newcastle

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby DJRansome » Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:15 pm

My API ammonia test is always absolute zero...bright yellow with no hint of green. I thank goodness for my well.
125G Borleyi, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Similis, Petricola
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby dakkon227 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:18 am

Quick update! Yes! 0 Ammonia finally! (as yellow as tap water).
dakkon227

Postby Iggy Newcastle » Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:11 am

:thumb:
Iggy Newcastle

Postby caldwelldaniel26 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:14 am

Awesome man, never have done a "food cycle" before but it's cool to see that it actually works. Congrats!
...Surviving doesn't always mean they're thriving...
caldwelldaniel26

Postby dakkon227 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:24 am

Here we go! Added fish in two batches over the last few days after a 25% WC. Water is still 0 Ammonia and Nitrite readings after introducing the fish. no feedings for 24 hours. Had some Black Beard Algae on the wood growing nicely, and within 2 days all the algae is gone lol everyone active and hungry! :dancing:

From the colony there are two fish that have caught my attention upon introducing them to the tank:
1) One guy has a bit of his fin damaged. He's a bit skinnier than the rest, and I'm closely monitoring him every day in case he gets bullied.
2) Another one looks like it has swollen gills? I noticed it already at the store but not exactly sure if it's a disease or if it's born deformed? It's behaving normally with the group, grazing on algae and active. Is this alarming? Hoping it will heal itself?

I don't have a quarantine tank/equipment to separate them from the main group. I can get those fry nets/box things and have them separated that way? Do I even need to?

Anyway here are picture! =)
dakkon227

Postby Iggy Newcastle » Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:14 am

Keep an eye on the fish, as you are, in particular their feeding. Just be sure they are all actively eating. The one with fin damage may be from being in a small tank at the shop. As long as it's feeding and not being constantly harassed into the upper corners, I'd leave him be. If for any reason a fish stops feeding, you'll need to remove it. This needs to be addressed in a separate aquarium, not an in tank net/box.

It would be a great idea to shove a sponge filter into your existing filtration, or place a small HOB on the main tank. These will be seeded with beneficial bacteria and be ready for a hospital/rehome tank when the time comes.
Iggy Newcastle

Postby noddy » Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:01 pm

Finally, some Tropheus Duboisi in the Tropheus Duboisi thread :wink:

Great pics. How many did you get? It looks like around 24.

What location are they?
noddy

Postby dakkon227 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:59 am

Iggy Newcastle wrote:Keep an eye on the fish, as you are, in particular their feeding. Just be sure they are all actively eating. The one with fin damage may be from being in a small tank at the shop. As long as it's feeding and not being constantly harassed into the upper corners, I'd leave him be. If for any reason a fish stops feeding, you'll need to remove it. This needs to be addressed in a separate aquarium, not an in tank net/box.

It would be a great idea to shove a sponge filter into your existing filtration, or place a small HOB on the main tank. These will be seeded with beneficial bacteria and be ready for a hospital/rehome tank when the time comes.

Yep will do. Actually looking to add another canister filter for back up and redundancy. Thought about getting a HOB but I couldn't stand a big box sitting on my tank =p

noddy wrote:Finally, some Tropheus Duboisi in the Tropheus Duboisi thread :wink:

Great pics. How many did you get? It looks like around 24.

What location are they?

Haha yes, it took a while! def more photos to come =)

There are 36 right now. This is more than I intended for the tank but the LFS cleared their stock for me. They are about 1 inch juvies now, will have options to remove aggressive males and adjust ratios as they grow.

I'm not sure what location they are, they were only labeled as 'white spotted tropheus' I guess we'll see when they grow up!
dakkon227

Postby DJRansome » Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:56 pm

They don't keep their spots...too bad because they are so cute.
125G Borleyi, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Similis, Petricola
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby dakkon227 » Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:17 pm

phpBB [video]

Wanted to share a vid of my tank! Little dubs schooling like tetras! :D All fish are healthy so far can't wait for them to grow!

Noticing that my tank has very low nitrates. I did a 30% WC last week but my nitrates are still only 5ppm? Ammonia and nitrites both 0ppm. I do have two bags of purigen in my filters but not sure if it's supposed to keep my nitrates this low? (Good problem to have of course) are the fish just too small and not producing that much waste yet?
dakkon227

Postby hexagonalbolts » Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:20 am

dakkon227 wrote:
Wanted to share a vid of my tank! Little dubs schooling like tetras! :D All fish are healthy so far can't wait for them to grow!

Noticing that my tank has very low nitrates. I did a 30% WC last week but my nitrates are still only 5ppm? Ammonia and nitrites both 0ppm. I do have two bags of purigen in my filters but not sure if it's supposed to keep my nitrates this low? (Good problem to have of course) are the fish just too small and not producing that much waste yet?

Hey Dakkon! Awesome tank. How is it going now? Would be great to see more pictures.

I am moving out to Hong Kong in January from England and would really appreciate your help. Did you get all your equipment from 'Goldfish street' in Mong Kok / are there any shops you recommend? Can you get decent lights for growing plants there? Canister filters? Would any of the aquariums there share some of their filter sponges to kickstart your aquarium?

Thanks for any help!
hexagonalbolts

Postby joselepiu » Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:30 pm

Iggy Newcastle wrote:I'll test tank vs tap vs bottled.

did you ever do it?... :-? :-? :-?
what were the results?... :-? :-? :-?
joselepiu

Postby dakkon227 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:35 am

hexagonalbolts wrote:Hey Dakkon! Awesome tank. How is it going now? Would be great to see more pictures.

I am moving out to Hong Kong in January from England and would really appreciate your help. Did you get all your equipment from 'Goldfish street' in Mong Kok / are there any shops you recommend? Can you get decent lights for growing plants there? Canister filters? Would any of the aquariums there share some of their filter sponges to kickstart your aquarium?

Thanks for any help!

Hey! The tank is doing very well! the little dubs are growing well. I'll snap some photos and share in a little bit!

Yes, I got all my equipment from 'goldfish street' happy to help and give you a little tour when you get here! Yes planted aquariums are popular here, so there's lots of ADA-inspired tanks and shops for lights/co2/substrate/plants etc. I wouldn't trust the stores to share their filter sponges to be honest. but I'm more than happy to give you some of mine to help seed your aquarium!

Maybe private message me so we can get in touch.
dakkon227

Postby hexagonalbolts » Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:10 pm

dakkon227 wrote:
hexagonalbolts wrote:Hey Dakkon! Awesome tank. How is it going now? Would be great to see more pictures.

Thanks for any help!

Hey! The tank is doing very well! the little dubs are growing well. I'll snap some photos and share in a little bit!

Yes, I got all my equipment from 'goldfish street' happy to help and give you a little tour when you get here! Yes planted aquariums are popular here, so there's lots of ADA-inspired tanks and shops for lights/co2/substrate/plants etc. I wouldn't trust the stores to share their filter sponges to be honest. but I'm more than happy to give you some of mine to help seed your aquarium!

Maybe private message me so we can get in touch.

Ah, thanks, that would all be great! I'll send you a PM in a minute!
hexagonalbolts

PreviousNext

Return to Aquarium Setup