Aquarium Setup • Glenn's Tank Thread

New to the world of cichlids? For discussion on how to set up new tanks, including placement, filtration, substrates, water, etc. No stocking discussions here.

Moderators: fmueller, Mcdaphnia

Glenn's Tank Thread

Postby GlennLever » Sun Jul 03, 2016 12:29 pm

This is my second thread on this forum.

I received excellent help when I posted about the Snail Infestation I have been fighting after a purchase from a pet store.

I thought I would show my tank to you guys, and continue to use this thread for it's evolution.

At some point I would like to double the size with a second identical tank. This would mean a new location and stand.

I would also like help in identifying the fish I have in this tank, so here goes (this page is also on my web site and this link http://www.lever-family-racing.com/fish-tank-2016-07-02)

I have kept a Fish Tank since I was 16 with few periods of time where I did not have one.

The best setup I ever had was two tall 55 gallon tanks side by side which gave me a wall 8 feet long of Fish Tank.

Currently, I have one 110 gallon high tank. I like the dimensions of the tank. It is 31 inches high, 48 inches long, and 18 inches wide. The 31 inch height is just low enough where I can reach the inside back corner without having to put my shoulder in the tank. The 18 inches wide is wide enough where you can stack stuff in the tank and still have some empty space at the front of the tank. The 48 inches long, well it would be nice if it was 96 inches long, maybe someday.

This is my first attempt to take some close up pictures and it is not as easy as it might seem; the camera wants to focus on the glass, the fish are never still, reflections of both the flash and other stuff in the room are a pain, including windows.

How many fish do I have in the tank? To tell the true I do not know. I have a lot. African Cichlids are known to be aggressive if they establish territories. There are several ways to combat this problem. Some reading I did said that if you over populate African Cichlids, they will tolerate themselves better and that seems to be true. They still chase each other and establish territories and I still get babies once in a while.

Pet store rant:
Recently, I picked up an infestation of Trumpet Snails from a purchase at a pet store. I have tried many things to get rid of them and have had to settle with controlling the population. I tried traps (a small Tupperware box with holes drill in it and lettuce inside) with some success, Assassin Snails ( amazingly, the Clown Loaches leave these guys alone and they seem to have little effect on the Trumpet snails), and Clown Loaches. The Clown Loaches do not seem interested in either the Trumpet snails or the Assassin Snails. They do love the occasional piece of Zucchini that I put in the tank.

I have two opinions on pet stores, one is THEY ARE TERRIBLE, and two, they are putting themselves out of the fish business with the quality of knowledge they show about the care and maintenance of fish.

Some day I want to try ordering some fish online and see how that works.

So this is the tank. I have always regarded it as a living moving picture. I calms me down when I sit and look at it. There is plenty of activity. I like the colors of salt water, but do not want the work to maintain it. I have found that African Cichlids is a nice compromise, they have some nice color and have good personalities.

It may look empty, but I assure you it is not.

I have never paid much attention to names. When I’m in a pet store, if I see something I like, I purchase them.

In my old age, I am finding that I would like to know the names of these fish so if you can help out please do.

The fish in the tank range in sizes from 2 to 6 inches in length

I really like the colors in this fish, I believe it is the fish that I like the most. Not knowing the name I have made several attempts at purchasing more, but have ended up with some look a likes, but not the same fish, at least I do not think so.

In this picture there are three, below are some close ups of the “different fish that look the same”

There are two different fish in this shot, the one sticking his nose out of the rocks is very colorful but tends to hide a lot. The one in the mid-range also has good color, and course there is a Clown Loach.

Tank 2016 07 02 DSC_0035-Here is another shot of the fish that was in the mid-range of the last picture.

I have no idea what this fish is but liked its shape

What follows are more shots of different fish that I would like help in identifying.

This is a poor shot, the rear tail is not fanned out, but this is another fish that hides a lot so I took what I could get

More shots of fish whose names I do not know

I like the coloration in this fish but have been told that as they mature, they will change color and develop a vertical white strip

Believe it of not there are other species of fish in this tank
Glenn R. Lever
Administrator / Founder of http://www.frontenginedragsters.org/forum/
My Web Site is http://www.lever-family-racing.com/
GlennLever

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Glenn's Tank Thread

Postby james1983 » Sun Jul 03, 2016 1:43 pm

The orange/white blotchy fish looks like an albino o.b. zebra, the other albino is probably a albino red top zebra, the solid yellow fish looks like a yellow lab/red zebra mix.
james1983

Postby tanker3 » Sun Jul 03, 2016 2:02 pm

I'll try to help. Nice, but 31" is a really tall tank, but I still like the set-up.

The first fish is an Albino Zebra (Metriaclima species), but now sure of which zebra. Looks like an Albino Metriaclima Estherae (Red Zebra), but I could be wrong.
The 3rd picture is another Albino but could be Metriaclima Estherae, but maybe Metriaclima Greshakei. Cannot tell when they are albinos.
Picture 4 "I think" is a female Metriaclima Msobo.
Picture 5 (from front to back) a Clown Loach, Looks like a male Metriaclima Msobo, and a Peacock in the back (I do not know my Peacocks).
Picture 6, is what looks like the male Metriaclima Msobo.
Picture 7--I have no idea. A female something.
Picture 8 is another Zebra. A Cobalt Blue? Metriaclima estherae?
Picture (--?? No Idea.
Picture 10---See above.
Picyure 11, is a Tropheus Spcies from Lake Tanganyika.
75gal Tank White Labs, White Top Haras, Met. Membe Deep
58gal Tank Ps. Saulosi , Lab. Perlmutt
tanker3

Postby GlennLever » Sun Jul 03, 2016 2:53 pm

So....

The first fish is an Albino Zebra (Metriaclima species), but now sure of which zebra. Looks like an Albino Metriaclima Estherae (Red Zebra), but I could be wrong.

The 3rd picture is another Albino but could be Metriaclima Estherae, but maybe Metriaclima Greshakei. Cannot tell when they are albinos.

Picture 4 "I think" is a female Metriaclima Msobo.

Picture 5 (from front to back) a Clown Loach, Looks like a male Metriaclima Msobo, and a Peacock in the back (I do not know my Peacocks).
The Clown Loach is the only one that I could identify.

Picture 6, is what looks like the male Metriaclima Msobo.

Picture 7--I have no idea. A female something.

Picture 8 is another Zebra. A Cobalt Blue? Metriaclima estherae?

Picture (--?? No Idea. Sold to me as a Cichlid, do you think it is not?

Picture 10---See above. Forground is a male Metriaclima Msobo? Background is a female Metriaclima Msobo?

Picyure 11, is a Tropheus Spcies from Lake Tanganyika.

I believe all but the last are from Lake Malawi, I have read that you should not mix the lakes, I have had no problems yet?

How do you tell Males from Females?
Glenn R. Lever
GlennLever

Postby tanker3 » Sun Jul 03, 2016 5:30 pm

Picture # 9 is a cichlid, just do not know what kind of cichlid.
# 10-- Front "B;ue" fish is a male Met. Msobo, the back fish is an Albibo (I think Metriaclima). A Female Msobo is on picture # 4.
75gal Tank White Labs, White Top Haras, Met. Membe Deep
58gal Tank Ps. Saulosi , Lab. Perlmutt
tanker3

Postby DJRansome » Sun Jul 03, 2016 6:26 pm

No idea: my bet is a Tanganyikan. Maybe frontosa, maybe tret. Doesn't look happy.
125G Borleyi, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Similis, Petricola
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby GlennLever » Mon Jul 04, 2016 4:19 pm

So questions
1) I believe all the fish I have except the one below are from Lake Malawi, correct?

2) I have read that you should not mix the lakes, I have had no problems yet, will I have in the future?

3) How do you tell Males from Females?

4) I have now taken better pictures of this fish, should I post "what is it" over on Unidentified Cichlids?

5) DJRansome I believe yo might be able to tell me what this is.

Working on better pictures of fish, this one off "another Zebra. A Cobalt Blue? Metriaclima estherae?"

I'm confused (does not take much) on this

a) "the back fish is an Albibo (I think Metriaclima)"
b) "a Tropheus Spcies from Lake Tanganyika."

Glenn R. Lever
GlennLever

Postby DJRansome » Mon Jul 04, 2016 10:42 pm

I think #4 is a Tang...tret or frontosa. And he does not look happy. What were all these fish sold to you as? I would expect problems in the future...yes.
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby GlennLever » Tue Jul 05, 2016 12:22 am

DJRansome wrote:I think #4 is a Tang...tret or frontosa. And he does not look happy. What were all these fish sold to you as? I would expect problems in the future...yes.

I purchased these fish piece meal and never paid any attention to who what where, or when.

I am not following the answers I am getting, so it may be best to ask one at a time.

From your avatar I think you can supply me with this answer, what is this fish, it seems to thrive in my tank and seems to be in second in command in the tank

Actually do have a second question that I think I can pose without confusion.

In the summer time I have always keep the house cool in the summer, but as I am getting older I have found I am liking the warmth a little more.

The consequence of that is I am the tank temperatures are climbing.

Tonight I found it a 81 (was a hot day today).

Is there such a thing as a chiller? If so a good brand? I have always keep the tank temperature at 78.
Glenn R. Lever
GlennLever

Postby Richard M » Tue Jul 05, 2016 2:14 am

GlennLever wrote:

I reckon that's a Pindani - Pseudotropheus socolofi - https://www.cichlid-forum.com/profiles/s ... php?id=919
Richard M
Richard M

Postby DJRansome » Tue Jul 05, 2016 8:08 am

There are chillers for aquaria...they are expensive to run.

Socolofi is an elongated fish...that makes me think more of callainos...one of the Metriaclima.
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby GlennLever » Sun Apr 19, 2020 2:24 pm

We moved a year and a half ago.

We are settled in enough to think about putting the fish tank back together.

Only other time I have been with out a tank this long was when I was in the military.

I have always used (2) two Magnaflow filters and and under gravel filter.

The new setup will be right next to the kitchen table..

Without sacrificing function what filter would you recommend?
Glenn R. Lever
GlennLever

Postby shiftyfox » Sun Apr 19, 2020 5:38 pm

Tropheus duboisi - White-Spotted Cichlid
shiftyfox

Postby GlennLever » Thu Apr 23, 2020 4:54 pm

Well I have used Marineland filters for a long time and have decided to stay with them.

Just ordered two Magniflow 360 gph filters.

Now I need to find a replacement air pump, any suggestions (110 gal high tank)
Glenn R. Lever
GlennLever

Postby DJRansome » Thu Apr 23, 2020 5:16 pm

Why do you need an air pump?
DJRansome
Global Moderator