Aquarium Setup • New Tank Setup - Red Sea Reefer

New to the world of cichlids? For discussion on how to set up new tanks, including placement, filtration, substrates, water, etc. No stocking discussions here.

Moderators: fmueller, Mcdaphnia

Re: New Tank Setup - Red Sea Reefer

Postby tiredboymike » Wed Jul 13, 2016 6:05 pm

Just a short update:

I went ahead and purchased the marcorocks - 50lbs (with the Tahitian Moon Sand I think it would look Great).

Food: Northfin pellets
Water Conditioner: Seachem Prime
Magnet Cleaner: Flipper Magnetic

Considering: UV Sterilizer (Am I going overboard?)

Hopefully I will have the tank setup and start cycling in the new few weeks. Then it's time to think about the Cichlids!

thanks!
tiredboymike

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby somebody » Wed Jul 13, 2016 10:27 pm

Personally I feel sterilizers are high tech, cool, money wasters. Now, before a UV fan boy jumps my stuff, I have one, I bought it during the summer when the light comes through my front door and blasts my tank with bad afternoon light. I have had it off the tank for about 6 months now and haven't had a problem with algae yet this summer.

Most of the time a proper maintainence scheduled, proper feeding, and adequate lighting is all that's needed for algae prevention. Don't underestimate the aesthetic value of a good coat of algae. Also makes for a well rounded viotope. Mbuna like grazing on the algae around the tank.

To sum it up, if your budget allows and you want it get it. Maybe you can wait till the tank is set up and see if it's needed. Your water change and cleaning regimen might render it unnecessary.
125 gal. partially planted peacock and hap with custom 55 sump
somebody

Postby DJRansome » Thu Jul 14, 2016 3:51 am

Agree, I have never needed a UV sterilizer.
125G Borleyi, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Similis, Petricola
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby tiredboymike » Wed Jul 27, 2016 1:49 pm

Tank is cycling on the 5th day.

Things I have done:
Built the cabinet- Tough 1 man job - I'm not really a handy man.
Connected all the plumbing - Tough trying to figure out the system - Still trying to pinpoint what is best water level for overflow/sump.
Auto Top-Off: Still need to figure out how much to open/close.
Cleaned out Marco Rocks by mostly spraying it down with my garden hose.
Added 60lbs on substrate
Added Sump Media (Filter Socks/Filter Pads/Carbon/2 Liters of Matrixx/4 liters of Pond Matrixx (Made a box with egg crate) Matrixx Rocks Float!
Added a couple of guppies
Added filter media (sponge/carbon) from my 10gallon fish tank to help with seeding.
Using Stability/Prime to help with the cycle and fishes.

Tap Water test:
ph 7.6 (do i really need to test this?)
ph high 8.4
ammonia .25ppm
Nitrite 0ppm
Nitrate 0ppm

Things to do:
Wait for the cycle to finish.
Ordered 30 stalks of Lucky Bamboo to help with Nitrate. (Not sure if I need a light in the sump, but guess I'll figure it out as it comes along).
Order some Tropheus!!!!

This is my first real tank cycle, trying to follow instructions from multiple guides. Hope I'm not messing things up.
tiredboymike

Postby Deeda » Wed Jul 27, 2016 2:18 pm

I really like the Fishless cycling method on C-F as it is fairly detailed and also answers many FAQ's; the link is in my signature. Obviously you can't have fish in the tank to use this method.

Are you just using guppies to cycle?

Testing the tap water just gives you a baseline to understand your source water and can be done regularly if your local water authority is noted for frequently adjusting the amount of disinfectant based on environmental conditions. If this is the case, test prior to a water change so you can adjust the amount of Prime to add for a water change.
Fishless Cycling
Posting Pics Eff. June 20, 2017, Photobucket does not allow free pic hosting

Dee
Eheim filter user
Member since 3/7/2006
Deeda

Postby tiredboymike » Wed Jul 27, 2016 2:28 pm

I can't seem to find the edit button :-(. Adding latest image here.

tiredboymike

Postby tiredboymike » Wed Jul 27, 2016 2:30 pm

Deeda wrote:I really like the Fishless cycling method on C-F as it is fairly detailed and also answers many FAQ's; the link is in my signature. Obviously you can't have fish in the tank to use this method.

Are you just using guppies to cycle?

Testing the tap water just gives you a baseline to understand your source water and can be done regularly if your local water authority is noted for frequently adjusting the amount of disinfectant based on environmental conditions. If this is the case, test prior to a water change so you can adjust the amount of Prime to add for a water change.

I have two guppies and two electric yellows.

thanks!
tiredboymike

Postby tiredboymike » Wed Jul 27, 2016 6:01 pm

Forgot to Add today's water test.

PH high: 8.0 ( definitely a reduction from the tap water).
Ammonia: .50
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0 ( was expecting to see some increase here)
tiredboymike

Postby BuckeyeTez » Wed Jul 27, 2016 7:08 pm

Since you're doing a fish-in cycle (which isn't recommended, I did this on my first tank too because I didn't know any better) you will need to do almost daily water changes because the ammonia and nitrites can be deadly to your fish. I did 50% daily and the 3 I had in there survived and seem to be ok to this day.

Make sure that if you're using the API test kit, that you shake the #%$& out of the nitrate test bottle number 2. If it sits for a week or so, part of the chemical settles in the bottom of the bottle and won't leave until you loosen it up. If your nitrates are showing zero as well as your ammonia and nitrite, you need to shake up that bottle really good and retest.

Good luck!
13x Mikula Gibberosa, 125g 6' w/FX6, AC110, 2x eheim heater, inkbird temp controller, 48" Finnex planted 24/7+ LED light.
BuckeyeTez

Postby tiredboymike » Wed Jul 27, 2016 11:24 pm

BuckeyeTez wrote:Since you're doing a fish-in cycle (which isn't recommended, I did this on my first tank too because I didn't know any better) you will need to do almost daily water changes because the ammonia and nitrites can be deadly to your fish. I did 50% daily and the 3 I had in there survived and seem to be ok to this day.

Make sure that if you're using the API test kit, that you shake the #%$& out of the nitrate test bottle number 2. If it sits for a week or so, part of the chemical settles in the bottom of the bottle and won't leave until you loosen it up. If your nitrates are showing zero as well as your ammonia and nitrite, you need to shake up that bottle really good and retest.

Good luck!

Thanks BuckeyeTez,

I'll shake the bottle number 2 and retest again tomorrow.
tiredboymike

Postby tiredboymike » Fri Jul 29, 2016 1:04 am

Day 6:

Ph: High 7.8
Ammonia: .50
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate:0 (shook up bottle #2 pretty good).

I''m anticipating ammonia to spike with 5 fishes (2 guppies, 2 electric yellow, 1 catfish). Guess it's the waiting game.
tiredboymike

Postby BuckeyeTez » Sat Jul 30, 2016 1:02 pm

You won't show any nitrate for a while since you just started the cycling process. I just wanted you to be aware of the issue I had. Kept saying I had no ammonia, nitrite and nitrate which can't be possible.
13x Mikula Gibberosa, 125g 6' w/FX6, AC110, 2x eheim heater, inkbird temp controller, 48" Finnex planted 24/7+ LED light.
BuckeyeTez

Postby judgejules1 » Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:34 pm

Just found this and was following the build, as I'm doing a similar tank and setup. Was hoping to see how the tank progressed and final pictures.
judgejules1

Postby Deeda » Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:36 pm

The OP hasn't been on the forum since 2016 so doubtful you'll get an update. :(
Fishless Cycling
Posting Pics Eff. June 20, 2017, Photobucket does not allow free pic hosting

Dee
Eheim filter user
Member since 3/7/2006
Deeda

Postby judgejules1 » Sun Feb 09, 2020 10:36 am

Deeda wrote:The OP hasn't been on the forum since 2016 so doubtful you'll get an update. :(

Thanks Deeda.
Well, I think that I will start a new thread now and share the build that I am underway with.
judgejules1

Previous

Return to Aquarium Setup