Aquarium Setup • 90 gallon "mostly" african saltwater show tank

New to the world of cichlids? For discussion on how to set up new tanks, including placement, filtration, substrates, water, etc. No stocking discussions here.

Moderators: fmueller, Mcdaphnia

90 gallon "mostly" african saltwater show tank

Postby spotmonster » Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:50 pm

I've been on the forum since 2006 and I don't believe I've ever taken the time to post any of my tanks. This is one of my 1st and still my favorite tank. It resides in my family room and it's right next to my couch so I can view it while watching TV. I know many of you like all of the same color rock. But I love the mixed color rocks in this tank. I consider this my Show tank. For me that means keeping bright colorful fish of as many colors as I can find. This tank has many sharp edge rocks, with coral, so I often have fish in here with a torn fin or 2 from time to time. Many of these fish are auction finds. And sometimes fish end up in here simply because I get a great deal on them "the frontosa's for example", so I grow them out in here. They will stay in here for awhile and will be moved or sold down the road as they get bigger. Below are some pics, hope you like it.

- 90 gallon 48x18
- Fluval FX5
- Rock work is made of real coral, real rocks, and also fake rocks of as many colors I can find.
- The stand was custom hand built around a Fluval FX5 and is powder coated black. If I can find the pics and plans, I'll post info on the stand later.

I'm too tired to create a fish list at the moment, nothing rare in here, you will recognize these fish anyway :thumb:

180- "Mostly" Central American tank- viewtopic.php?f=13&t=290962
90- Mixed African "Saltwater" show tank. viewtopic.php?f=4&t=286010
2-40's,4-30's,1-55,1-33
spotmonster

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: 90 gallon "mostly" african saltwater show tank

Postby fishy_foo » Tue Nov 26, 2013 12:09 am

Wow, that is a really beautiful tank !
fishy_foo

Postby JimA » Tue Nov 26, 2013 1:29 am

Um yeah, you have all those fish in a 4' tank? Genius or insane I cant tell, so wrong on so many levels but if it works for "now" I guess your alright for a week or two...
The only difficult day was yesterday.
JimA

Postby spotmonster » Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:55 am

Thanks fishy.

Jim, this tank has been running for 7 years, so I'm pretty sure I'm good for more than a week or two buddie. I've maintained 20-25 fish in this tank for the same amount of years. We're talking small africans here, there are not 30 oscars in there. But I'll take both the genius or insane comment as a compliment :D Thanks.
2-40's,4-30's,1-55,1-33
spotmonster

Postby ozman » Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:44 am

looks great, but allow me to ask what maybe a stupid question:

how do cichlids live in the same parameter waters that allows your corals to survive. perhaps your using dead ones, i don't know!

personally it comes down to individual choice, and for me i'd rather differentiate between a cichlid tank and a saltwater. as you say you get torn fins from the sharp rocks....just my 2c :)
after all is said and done, more is said than ever done!
ozman

Postby spotmonster » Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:35 am

Thanks ozman. The title just means "simulated saltwater look". It's a fresh water tank. The corals are dead.

A "poor mans" saltwater tank if you will. The look of saltwater without the cost and maintenance. Which is why many people fall in love with africans, at least that's how it happened for me. It's a look I love. When I was 1st introduced to cichlids, there were 2 similar show tanks at a very popular LFS near me.
2-40's,4-30's,1-55,1-33
spotmonster

Postby dockers » Fri Nov 29, 2013 3:56 pm

beautiful tank
dockers

Postby AlmightyJoshaeus » Fri Nov 29, 2013 5:37 pm

Quite pretty, yes...and I'm sure that all that coral creates an almost infinite number of hiding places for the inevitable chasee.
AlmightyJoshaeus

Postby oetheous » Fri Nov 29, 2013 6:18 pm

Nice tank!! Love the look of the corals.
oetheous

Postby skurj » Fri Nov 29, 2013 7:45 pm

Saltwater colour (almost) without all the hassles I like it! (just tearing my SW down to be replaced with another FW)

Oh yeah and good job on the photos

But one question... How do ya get fish out of there?
55g Corner Saulosi, Yoyo, BN Pleco
skurj

Postby spotmonster » Sat Nov 30, 2013 2:21 am

Thanks for the compliments.

Yes skurj, almost saltwater colors :)

As for getting the fish out, if i have to yank someone, well, it depends on the fish. Some are just not worried about the net at all. I've had Acei that love playing in the net.

I've had some fish that are just not that aware and by leaving a net or two hanging in the water after a few minutes I can snag them quickly.

But for those that are very alert and cautious, well, then i just have to remove most of the rock from the tank. As a matter of fact, I just tore this tank down Thursday night to remove a , (very beautiful hybrid actually) that had become the boss of the tank and would kill any newcomers. I loved the fish and he looked nice, but if i kept him, there would be no newcomers . I knew I would be picking up a few fish to add to the tank if i got the chance at the fish show, so i wanted him to be gone before I departed.

Here's a pic of him. I sold him at the show actually. (sold as a hybrid of course before anyone leaves negative comments). His dad was a Dimidiochromis compressiceps, mom was a Nimbochromis venustus. The fish ended up retaining the flat body of the comp, but with the checkerboard type patter of the venustus. They weren't born in my tanks, I picked them up as fry off of craigslist just to raise them to see what they looked like when adults.

2-40's,4-30's,1-55,1-33
spotmonster

Postby ozman » Sat Nov 30, 2013 9:18 am

spotmonster wrote:Thanks ozman. The title just means "simulated saltwater look". It's a fresh water tank. The corals are dead.

A "poor mans" saltwater tank if you will. The look of saltwater without the cost and maintenance. Which is why many people fall in love with africans, at least that's how it happened for me. It's a look I love. When I was 1st introduced to cichlids, there were 2 similar show tanks at a very popular LFS near me.

hi again i understand what you like and i take my hat off to you for going your own way.
my last post was not meant to be critical, just my thoughts. awesome pics of your fish :wink:

every best wish to you and enjoy :thumb:
after all is said and done, more is said than ever done!
ozman

Postby Iggy Newcastle » Sat Nov 30, 2013 11:21 am

Some are just not worried about the net at all. I've had Acei that love playing in the net.

Same here. I have an Acei around 4.5" who swims right into the net, regardless if there's any food in it.

That OB peacock picture is killer.
Iggy Newcastle

Postby Woundedyak » Sat Nov 30, 2013 11:33 am

Amazing fish! I dig the Jewell.
Woundedyak

Postby spotmonster » Sat Nov 30, 2013 1:44 pm

No problem Ozman. No offense was taken :thumb: Thanks for the compliment. I appreciate the fact that we can see the beauty in other peoples tanks, even though they might not be of a design we would set up in our own house.

The jewel is hemichromis lifalili. I love these jewels. They are really one of the few choices out there for a true "RED" african. There are many strains of fish in this hobby that use the term "red", like super red empress, ruby red, super red etc... But while they are all very nice fish, none of those fish are actually "red". Usually some shade of orange. Even my very nice dragon blood peacock in this tank, is not truly red when compared against the jewel. If you want to add a "RED" fish to your mixed tank, these guys are excellent as a single specimen. They are pretty laid back in my experience. A spawning pair would be a different story though.
2-40's,4-30's,1-55,1-33
spotmonster

Next

Return to Aquarium Setup