Aquarium Setup • Jim's 125-gallon Mbuna tank set up

New to the world of cichlids? For discussion on how to set up new tanks, including placement, filtration, substrates, water, etc. No stocking discussions here.

Moderators: fmueller, Mcdaphnia

Jim's 125-gallon Mbuna tank set up

Postby JimSparks » Tue Jun 08, 2021 3:19 pm

Hello all

I have recently decided to move up from a 75-gallon Mbuna tank to a 125-gallonMbuna tank. I am working on all the parts and pieces. I have the tank. I have built a stand. Just need to clean the tank and whatnot. I am working on the background now and moving through the process. I am excited to get this setup and trying to make it as close to a 'dream tank' as possible.

I plan to chronicle my journey here. I will add links to other threads that discuss whatever I am working on in detail. If I get better about taking pictures I will include those as well.

Anyway, this is more for me to have one place to keep my journey but also if you choose to read and watch and maybe learn something from a new guy trying to learn as he goes, that's even better.

I am super open to feedback and comments and good conversation. So please feel free to comment on any and all the things.

Jim's 125-gallon Mbuna tank - stocking advice / https://www.cichlid-forum.com/phpBB/vie ... 9&t=454919

Thank you
Jim
JimSparks

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Jim's 125-gallon Mbuna tank set up

Postby JimSparks » Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:26 am

JimSparks

Postby SenorStrum » Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:26 pm

Hey Jim, Tell us more!
I guess I need to go check out the other threads as I know the stocking one is getting some attention, but what are you planning on documenting here? What kind of filtration are you going to run on it? What about lighting? I don't think we talk enough about lights around here...
SenorStrum

Postby JimSparks » Fri Jun 18, 2021 8:54 am

Filtration:

I am going to have a Fluval FX4 and a Fluval FX6 running on this tank. Planning to replace the standard hoses, intakes, and returns.

For the intake, I will use 1in PVC that will come up the back of the tank into a set of 90 degree PVC fittings then down behind the background.

For the return, I will use 1in PVC that comes up the back of the tank into another set of 90 degree PVC fittings then out through the front of the background. This will terminate with a female threaded coupling that I can screw in my plumbing pieces.

There will be a return/intake pair at each end of the tank.

intake return.png

I chose to use typical marine plumbing pieces. I think this will make things a little cleaner and still provide me with the flexibility to position the return where I need it. The flexible tubing will be as short as I need it to get the right positioning. Trying to keep as low a profile as possible. I believe it will be high enough in the tank that it shouldn't be too noticeable.

fitting.JPG
flexible tube.JPG
flare nozzle.JPG

At the end of the PVC pipe on the back of the tank will be the fittings/barbs to clamp the 1in ID hose that will then connect to the FX filters.

As far as media is concerned, I am using standard ceramic rings for bio media. Purchased on Amazon. I think I should be able to get about 10 pounds of media in the 2 filters. Hopefully. I will be using a medium and course pond foam that I will cut into size and sandwich together on the outside of the filters.

20210618_074710.jpg

I am undecided if I will add a fine pad on top of the ceramic rings or not. I've still got some time to decide I guess. I am basing this on the video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NqNPKFGFCQ

As always, I am open to feedback and suggestions

Thanks
Jim
JimSparks

Postby JimSparks » Fri Jun 18, 2021 8:57 am

SenorStrum wrote:Hey Jim, Tell us more!
I guess I need to go check out the other threads as I know the stocking one is getting some attention, but what are you planning on documenting here? What kind of filtration are you going to run on it? What about lighting? I don't think we talk enough about lights around here...

Thanks for the call out. Very good point.

So in response to that, I will detail the different aspects of the setup here. The elements that have their own thread I will give a high level with a link to the thread for more details.
JimSparks

Postby SenorStrum » Fri Jun 18, 2021 1:33 pm

Hey - another call-out that I hope is useful. I've only been able to find loc-line up to 3/4 inch. If you plumb with 3/4, you'll not have to step down into 3/4 female NPT to fit directly to the loc-line. Also, I was able to find assembled outlets like you're showing for under $20 on eBay. This saves having to purchase the pliers. It does not look like something I'd want to try to force into place without the pliers... It's really stiff.
SenorStrum

Postby JimSparks » Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:18 pm

I've already got the stuffs. I've been able to snap it all into place using enough force. I will never have to change it in the tank since the piece I am using will screw into the piece that remains stationary in the tank. So I can pull it out and change the length or the nozzle easily then screw it back in. If it gets to be too difficult I'll pony up for the pliers.
JimSparks

Return to Aquarium Setup