Aquarium Setup • New Fish Setup Advise

New to the world of cichlids? For discussion on how to set up new tanks, including placement, filtration, substrates, water, etc. No stocking discussions here.

Moderators: fmueller, Mcdaphnia

New Fish Setup Advise

Postby TuFish » Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:05 pm

Hello everyone,

I am new to the forum and would appreciate any advice given. I currently have a 125 stocked with a community of ACs (approx 25 fish 3" to 4"s on avg. I am looking to setup a grow-out tank (29 gals) and eventually transfer Newbies to the 125. I have 2 FX6's running on the 125. I have an old FX5 (no media) which has been sitting for about a year. I was thinking of restarting the FX5 with new media then put it on the 125 tank and transferring 1 of the current FX6's (with established media) to run the 29 gal tank. I will be stocking the 29 gal tank with juvenile (1.2' to 2") ACs. 1. Will this work? 2. How many fish (White Calvus & Synodontis Petricola Catfish & Frontosa) should I start with? Again, any assistance is greatly appreciated.
TuFish

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: New Fish Setup Advise

Postby ken31cay » Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:24 pm

1. I would put only some of one of the FX6's media into the FX5 and use that for the 29gal. Removing an entire FX6 from the 125gal might be half of that tank's bio filter and would probably cause ammonia to spike, which you do not want.

2. RE: "White Calvus & Synodontis Petricola Catfish & Frontosa": do you mean in the 29gal? I wouldn't plan on keeping even one Frontosa in a 29gal due to it's small size.
450gal Frontosa (blue Zaire Moba) & haps
180gal school of Red Rainbowfish
ken31cay

Postby DJRansome » Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:25 pm

Welcome to Cichlid-forum!

An FX5 is too big for a 29G tank as it has 925 GPH, is that correct?

What are the species of the 25 fish already in the 125G? You are likely fully stocked.

Frontosa are too large for a 29G. I would say calvus are as well, unless you are just getting one.
125G Borleyi, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Similis, Petricola
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby TuFish » Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:15 am

First let me say Thanks to everyone and for replying so promptly I appreciate it. I am obviously still learning. I understand the FX5 is a large filter for the 29 Gal tank. I was hoping to use it temporarily until the Juveniles (3 Calvus & 3 Synodontis Petricolas) grow larger and then go into a 55 Gal tank I plan on setting up. "What are the species of the 25 fish already in the 125G? You are likely fully stocked?"-- OB's, Yellow Lab's, Red Devil, Mdoka White Lip, Eureka Red Peacocks, giraffe cichlids, and humphead frontosas all currently in 125 gal. . The new fish I'm acquiring are approximately, 2" inches. I was planning on using the 29 gal tank until they grow a little bigger, then transfer the fish to a 55 Gal tank. Is this conceivable? My concern is: I previously had 3 Calvus in the 125 Gal along with the species mentioned above and they were doing fine. I made the mistake of a large water change and tank cleaning along with a cleaning one of the FX6 filters. Well it stress out the 3 Calvus and 1 died shortly after the cleaning and the other 2 were dead the next day. My two 1.5" Synodontis Petricolas came up missing one day. I assume they were eaten. Hence why I want to put any new fish temporarily in a 29 Gal as a grow-up tank, then graduate to a 55 Gal I plan to setup. Please let me know if this is capable. Again, Thank you everyone.
TuFish

Postby DJRansome » Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:42 am

What is your plan for the 125G? Recommended would be just the frontosa alone for a Tang tank.

Or if you want the 125G to be a Malawi tank, just the OB's, labs, mdoka, eurekas and giraffes would be good. You might find the more aggressive Malawi like giraffe and eureka cause the less aggressive mdoka to color poorly.

Can you use a 29G as a grow-out for a 55G? Yes, but growing out calvus takes a year or more so I would get the right filter for the 29G.

Can you use a 29G to grow out frontosa for the 125G? Yes briefly but I would grow-out the calvus in the 29G and the frontosa in the 55G...not together.
125G Borleyi, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Similis, Petricola
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby TuFish » Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:14 pm

Awesome info. I will hold off on buying anymore Frontosa's. I think I will keep the 125 Gals as a Malawi Tank & use the 29 to grow-out the Calvus, then transfer them to the 55 Gal tank. I will purchase another filter for the 29 Gal tank. Kool. Thanks again & God Bless!
TuFish

Return to Aquarium Setup