Aquarium Setup • Should I keep Fry in a breeder box?

New to the world of cichlids? For discussion on how to set up new tanks, including placement, filtration, substrates, water, etc. No stocking discussions here.

Moderators: fmueller, Mcdaphnia

Should I keep Fry in a breeder box?

Postby DRose1836 » Sun Dec 01, 2019 1:31 am

I recently ordered some fish online, and they came in much smaller then anticipated. The site said 1.5 - 2.0 inch but the fish I received are about an inch. Small little guys that haven't colored up yet.

I currently have larger fish in my tank, largest is about 2.5 inches or so. I also have some smaller fish that are about 1.25 inches or so and seem to be doing fine with the larger fish.

Should I keep the fish in a breeder box for a little while and let them grow, or just release them into the tank with the others?
Attachments
IMG_20191130_232419.jpg
IMG_20191130_232426.jpg
IMG_20191130_232429.jpg
DRose1836

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Should I keep Fry in a breeder box?

Postby Deeda » Sun Dec 01, 2019 11:35 am

Ideally you would set up a 10G, 15G or 20G tank for the too small fish with a mature filter until they get large enough to add to the existing tank. There is a danger with net type breeder boxes as the larger fish can potentially damage the net to get to the small fish.

BTW, the small tank set up I described above is also great for quarantining new fish to monitor them before adding to the existing tank in case of disease, illness or size and to ensure the new fish are eating well.
Fishless Cycling
Posting Pics Eff. June 20, 2017, Photobucket does not allow free pic hosting

Dee
Eheim filter user
Member since 3/7/2006
Deeda

Postby cyclonecichlids » Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:04 am

The net actually stresses fish out.

The way I would do this is get a 10 gal tank and feed these fish 2-3 times day until they reach at least the size that can't be swallowed by the big fish. Give lots of hiding places when you put them in the main tank.
Mbipia Lutea keeper / breeder in So Cal.
https://www.facebook.com/MbipiaLutea/
cyclonecichlids

Postby DRose1836 » Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:55 pm

Thanks for the replies! Unfortunately one of the fry died, so I went ahead and just released the rest into the tank. I'm currently trying to cycle a 20 gallon tank. But as of right now they seem to be doing fine with the other fish. They are really only being chased by the smallest fish I had in the tank, and he can't really do much damage to them and the tank is 75 gallons so they don't run into him much. They also are not scared to go to the surface for food. Though the larger ones do out compete them. Any suggestions, possibly sinking algae pellets so they can get more of a food source?
DRose1836

Postby DJRansome » Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:41 pm

I would isolate them and grow them out as others have suggested.
125G Borleyi, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Similis, Petricola
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby DRose1836 » Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:53 pm

I would like to do that, but without another cycled tank I'm kinda stuck atm. Unless you think it would be ok to put them in my uncycled 20 gallon? And my tank is fairly new so I don't have any media I can really take out and put in the other for a jump start on the cycling process.
DRose1836

Postby punman » Fri Dec 06, 2019 1:56 am

How new is your existing running tank? IF it is cycled, take half of the media and put it in your new tank with treated water and you should be good to go.
Tanganyika Cichlids all the Way!
90 Gallon: Tropheus Black Bemba
135 Gallon: Frontosa mpimbwe f1 and A. calvus
Fish tanks - betcha can't have just one!
punman

Return to Aquarium Setup