Aquarium Setup • Dividing Mbunas

New to the world of cichlids? For discussion on how to set up new tanks, including placement, filtration, substrates, water, etc. No stocking discussions here.

Moderators: fmueller, Mcdaphnia

Dividing Mbunas

Postby Ralph493 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:17 am

Presently I have two established tanks. Tank#1 : 75gallon stocked with White Tops and Yellow labs. Tank#2: 55gallon stocked with Saulosi and White Labs. I want to divide up these by adding a new 55 gallon tank I now have. Are the labs the only species that I shouldn't mix of these four? I know I need to move some Saulosi and am thinking of Saulosi,White Tops and either Yellow or White Labs in the new 55. Sound ok?
Ralph493

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Dividing Mbunas

Postby DJRansome » Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:28 am

I would not mix the hara and the saulosi as they are both blue barred fish. When I did this the hara did not color up well. They were much better with the labs in my experience.
125G Borleyi, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Similis, Petricola
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby Ralph493 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:21 am

DJRansome wrote:I would not mix the hara and the saulosi as they are both blue barred fish. When I did this the hara did not color up well. They were much better with the labs in my experience.

Ok. Was hoping the color difference between the Saulosi and hara' s would be enough to put them together. My Saulosi now in my current 55 are 4M/12F. They are in with White Labs. Maybe keep all the Saulosi together in a species only tank and then add another species with White Labs? What would go well with White Lab in a 55? Ideally I wanted to stay with what I currently have divided between the three tanks and still have each with nice color contrast. I have one lone Demonosi that was shipped to me by mistake in a tank by itself and could get more of those but I'm sure what they would be like with any of my current stock. They seem a little more aggressive than what I have.
Ralph493

Postby DJRansome » Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:44 pm

I did not find the difference to be enough.

Demasoni are both aggressive and delicate health wise. Don't do them if you are not determined.

Personally I would sell the extras and do new species.

But you could do saulosi species and white labs with hara.
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby Ralph493 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:18 pm

DJRansome wrote:I did not find the difference to be enough.

Demasoni are both aggressive and delicate health wise. Don't do them if you are not determined.

Personally I would sell the extras and do new species.

But you could do saulosi species and white labs with hara.

So I understand. I shouldn't do Saulosi and White Tops alone but if I have Saulosi and White Labs I can then also have White Tops? That would be a 55gallon with a three.
Ralph493

Postby DJRansome » Sat Jul 13, 2019 1:40 pm

The problem with your last mix is both saulosi and white tops (correct name is Cynotilapia hara) are blue barred fish. I would not mix them.
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Return to Aquarium Setup