DIY - Projects & Ideas • DIY Styrofoam/Drylok Aquarium Shale Wall Background

This is for do-it-yourself projects and inventions.

Moderators: Deeda, Kanorin

Re: DIY Styrofoam/Drylok Aquarium Shale Wall Background

Postby Chasmodes » Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:03 am

Sorry, I haven't been on the forum in a while. A lot has happened with my tank. I posted a few notes about the status of the tank in the video and a list of the fish in my tank now. I will post a few things here as well as the direction of this tank that I'm heading toward.

My plants died back but are not dead. I see new growth on them. Maybe because my water temperature is in the mid 50's? Last week it was as low as 52. Yesterday, it was 55. The tank is in my basement where I don't have heat. I know that in the fall in the river, most of the weeds die off and then come back the following spring. I don't know if this is happening in my tank as well. The problem with that is that when pieces of the plants float around the tank, they clog my filter intake.

The biggest thing that you'll note is the lack of the roots. I pulled them out so I could get to the filter intake to clean it out. The fish love the roots. The river chub loved to hide in there, and the other fish swam through them often, and the darters perched on them as well. But, visually, they grew old on me. They take up way too much space in the tank, making maintenance difficult.

I also wanted to see more of the faux rock wall. So, I pulled them out permanently, at least as they looked before. I sawed them into two pieces, thinking that I'll keep one half on the left side, and one on the right, to provide cover. I also cut out the middle section. I didn't like it anyway, as the short branch looked like ET's hand. I need to trim back some of the roots at the base to get them to fit into the tank better, where I can easily remove them for maintenance and also have them not take up so much room. Then, I have to seal them to keep water out. They were never completely water tight anyway. If the trimming doesn't work or it becomes too cumbersome to fix, I may scrap them and create a couple smaller versions.

Anyway, I hope you enjoy the video. My favorite part is the duels between the feisty male satinfin shiner and the river chub.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6E8-hnNC8Ao
-Kevin Wilson
Chasmodes

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby Deeda » Tue Feb 16, 2021 12:01 pm

Nice to see you update this tank, the fish are looking great and the tank decor is looking so naked but looking forward to the new iteration. Especially enjoyed the duel between the shiner and chub!
Fishless Cycling
Posting Pics Eff. June 20, 2017, Photobucket does not allow free pic hosting

Dee
Eheim filter user
Member since 3/7/2006
Deeda

Postby Chasmodes » Tue Feb 16, 2021 1:21 pm

Thank you Dee.

I found more slate to add in my tank. It will give my fish more hiding spots again, in particular the river chub and the darters. That way, the river chub could avoid the harrassment of the satinfin shiner!!! I added some plant spikes last night, so maybe that will get the Vallisneria to grow back faster. Right now, I"m going through another green cyano outbreak. I think it's winning the war for nutrients over my plants.
-Kevin Wilson
Chasmodes

Previous

Return to DIY - Projects & Ideas