Hello everyone

My new tank coming soon

- Tank size: 120g 150x65x50
- Filtration: Sump
- Return pump: Hygger 2650 gph
Heater 2-300w

DIY aquarium background I made with paint

Any suggestions or help?

First: I already painted my backgrounds with Vynil paint and let it dry for 5 days, I put it in water with fish and they look fine, I was worried it could be toxic for them but no, they look fine I have them in my sump, until the whole background is ready, any help or suggestions will be really aprecciated.

For the sump don't I'm not so sure what media pliz help? And what if light goes out, I'm worried it could be a disaster,

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Hola otra vez!

I commented on your other thread. I love the tank. You ask specifically about the biological media in the filtration.
I struggled with this. A brief story - I ordered my tank last August. It took a REALLY long time to get here. In that time, I became obsessed with designing the perfect system. I read as many forums as I could and listened to YouTube folks from August to November. At the end of November, I discovered AquariumScience.org.

The problem that I had was that all the information I could find came from people trying to sell me things and the reviews and claims made by manufacturers are so wild that they cannot be trusted, in my opinion. Way too many conflicts of interest. It's hard for me to believe what people say if they're also trying to sell me something. I found that aquariumscience.org had a different perspective on the purpose of filtration and what the fishkeeper should be trying to achieve -that being crystal clear, bacteria free water. I'm really happy that my tank took so long, or I would have wound up with 50 gallons of lava rock in my sump and nothing else. At this point, it's full of filter foam.

What kind of lights are those? They look great!
What about substrate? Sand? What color will you use?

When you say "What if light goes out?" do you mean no electricity? Definitely something to think about. I wrote up a thread about what I did for my tank here:
https://www.cichlid-forum.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=454599

In this thread I believe I also wrote down why I feel I needed the backup and what I'm trying to address with it.

I Like your background. I am not sure about vinyl paint. Has anybody else around here tried that?

#5 ·
I don't personally believe that that will be too many fish.

I think that you will find that 3 Msobo may be too many. Be prepared to pull one out as it may fight and may not color well.

What kind of Galireya reef? I have Cynotiliapia sp. Hara Galireya Reef, but that looks like a duplicate with the other Hara, so I'm probably confused. This is typical.

#10 ·
Thanks a lot i really love the job i did to the background, it look almost like a real one, but im changing the fish, they are all hybrids by the way, and sadly i will have to remove them, and get 8 afra jalo reef, and 8 msobo magugna but cant find the msobo yet. Only the afras. Plus i want a clown plecostomus or a blue phantom

#13 ·
Diatom buildup is what happens initially. Your new sand and rocks haven't been coated all over yet with a coating of 'bio-slime' (beneficial bacteria). This can take a few months for those little guys to coat and seal everything off - making it harder for the diatoms to get access to all of that silica. The green algae takes a bit more time to get going, but I agree it is a bit more pleasing and natural-looking to the eye. Do you have good lights that will promote the growth of that algae on your rocks and background? (Odd - a dedicated aquatic plant keeper, offering advice on how to grow MORE algae!).
The green algae will positively respond to pretty much the same stuff that live plants do. ;)

Reactions: pakach61
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.