DIY - Projects & Ideas • DIY Styrofoam/Drylok Aquarium Shale Wall Background

This is for do-it-yourself projects and inventions.

Moderators: Deeda, Kanorin

Re: DIY Styrofoam/Drylok Aquarium Shale Wall Background

Postby skwerl » Wed Jul 31, 2019 12:51 pm

I think the shine won’t be as noticeable once underwater. And definitely once it gets a coating of aged tank scum. If you have a scrap of something with the epoxy coating on it, just stick it in an extra tank with water and see how it looks.
skwerl

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby Chasmodes » Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:46 am

Thank you Dee. Thanks for the tip skwerl, I'll try it tonight. I did a test piece with the foam and will dip it in my oyster reef tank.
-Kevin Wilson
Chasmodes

Postby Kipnlilo » Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:26 am

Oh man, I’m getting excited, water coming! It will look fine, the gloss tones down under water. Especially once your tank gets some natural growth if you let it.
125G x2 Male Hap Peacock Mbuna
55G Female Hap Peacock
40G Mbuna
10G Hospital
:fish: :fish: :fish:
Kipnlilo

Postby Chasmodes » Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:13 am

Thanks Kipnlilo. I didn't add water yet. I managed to scrape off the excess silicone from when I installed the wall. It was such a tight fit that, when I pushed the third section back, some silicone smeared on the of the glass. Some of the epoxy also went on the glass, but, surprisingly to me, it scraped off easily. I moved the tank almost into position where it will be set up. After I paint the Drylok on the outsides of the tank on the sides to hide the pink foam and silicone ugliness, then I'll push the tank into position and set it up. I hauled a bucket full of river rocks that I collected down to the basement (sweating profusely), but still need to collect some sand and gravel. I will do the rockscaping first, then fill in with sand and gravel. I didn't want to add all those rocks and then have to move the tank.

I need to redo my spray bar, which is easy to make. I will make it longer and have only one point of entry into the tank. There isn't room in the back where the stand pipe drops in, so it will be dropped in from the front. I want to use a glass top, so, to solve my access problem, I'll just flip the top around so it opens from the back, and the plastic cutaway section is in the front, where the spray bar will have a cut out. You won't be able to see the spray bar because of the roots.

The spray bar will shoot current over the top of the roots and across the surface of the tank. Hiding in the roots is a large powerhead that will drive a large amount of stream current. The roots and rocks will break it up and create small eddies. That's the goal. I placed the powerhead along the glass and the roots hide it nicely. You can see it from the right side of the tank looking through that glass, but, not so much from the front unless you're all the way on the right side. I'm pretty happy with how that worked out.
-Kevin Wilson
Chasmodes

Previous

Return to DIY - Projects & Ideas