Cichlid Fish Forum banner

Unknown Sickness help

1K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  DJRansome 
#1 ·
I am going to go in to as much detail as I can so it is easier to get help. I have a 75gal tank that has been running for 4 months. Everything was perfect( I have been using an API test kit) until I ordered 12 demasoni from Tampa Bay cichlids. I didnt have a Q tank set up at the time but I inspected the 12 demasoni prior to introducing them to my tank. They all seemed healthy and happy. The next day when I woke up all of the demasoni had ick but none of the other fish. I was able to cure the ick fairly quickly and everything seemed fairly normal for the next couple weeks. About a week ago a demasoni died and now this week I have had 4 more pass. The remainder of the demasoni are now showing little to no movement and staying in there caves. Every other fish seems to be healthy and has normal behavior for the most part a little itching here and there but nothing that alarming. I have treated API ick cure, aquarium salt and now I am on my second treatment of prazipro and the demasoni do not seem to be getting any better. I am very scared that whatever the demasoni have will transfer over to my other fish.

I have also noticed that their fins have been twitching. That would lead me to believe its a parasite but I dont understand why the aquarium salt and prazipro isnt working. Any idea what I should do?

#3 ·
Sorry i left that out. So surprisingly they did just come up to eat even the one that was really bad off. Prior to that I haven't been able to get them to eat. Shortly after eating they returned to the bottom and they aren't moving much. They are breathing slightly harder than normal and I have seen some white stringy feces. I treated with prazipro 4 days ago and I did the second treatment yesterday morning.

Side note I had 12 more demasoni delivered today and I have them in a 55gal quarantine tank (I learned my lesson lol). Really hoping I can get these guys feeling better so I can get my demasoni numbers in the tank back up. Im down to 5 of them and I know thats not good. Thank you for any help you may provide, it is greatly appreciated.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.