Cichlid Fish Forum banner

Diseased mature Midas Cichlid

361 views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  Randolph949 
#1 ·
I had recently posted this in another section of the forum and thought more members would respond here. The Midas cichlid is six to seven inches and over 10 years old, He was in a 90 gallon tank with good filtration and water conditions. In January, he developed a swim bladder disorder which was effectively treated. He also stopped eating and began erratic behavior, hitting the tank walls and glass top. Again water chemistry was fine and his two tankmates have been normal. There were no visible signs of disease. About 10 days ago, I noticed his pectoral fins were diseased. Moved him to a hospital tank. Water temp is heated at 79 degrees, power head is providing plenty of air. I'm doing daily water changes of about 80% and adding Prime to control ammonia. I initially treated with Metroplex for two days and there was no improvement. I then dosed with Melafix for five days and replaced that with Fixafin for the last two days. The fish is still not eating. Tried just about everything including shrimp and earthworm soaked in garlic. I'm sure the tank is creating some level of stress. The fish is still active and has calmed down. Unfortunately, the pectoral fins are developing white growths, see photo below. I don't know if this is a positive sign that the Fixafin is working or the condition is getting worse. I'm doing everything I can to help this fish, partly because he has fought to survive for so long. Would appreciate any support forum members can provide.

Attachments

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.