Illness, Health & Nutrition • Food & Feeding Recommendations

For discussion on fish illness, health and nutrition.

Moderator: Robin

Food & Feeding Recommendations

Postby Smeagol » Wed Mar 03, 2021 12:08 am

While I'm waiting for my tank to cycle, I'm interested in hearing recommendations for food (specific brands/products) to feed to Yellow-tail Acei, Yellow Labs, and Maingano. Also, how often and how much do I feed them? I've always fed my freshwater fish just once a day, but I don't know if that's adequate for mbuna. Thanks in advance for your advice and recommendations!
75g = Yellow-tail Acei, Yellow Labs, Maingano
20g Planted = Harlequin Rasboras, Lemon Tetras, Amano Shrimp
Smeagol

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Food & Feeding Recommendations

Postby Stu W2 » Wed Mar 03, 2021 12:23 am

Hello Smeagol,

I found the linked article very interesting and I tend to agree that fish should be fed smaller portions and less frequently than most fish food manufacturers recommend.

https://aquariumscience.org/index.php/1-1-3-fish-food/

Regards,
Stu
Stu W2

Postby DJRansome » Wed Mar 03, 2021 9:21 am

New Life Spectrum 1mm sinking pellets Cichlid Formula. Or Northfin 1mm sinking pellets Cichlid Formula. Once/day and what they will eat in 30 seconds. I have to ensure some pellets hit the substrate for the Synodontis, most are caught mid-water by the cichlids.
125G Borleyi, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Similis, Petricola
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby Idech » Wed Mar 03, 2021 9:28 am

I feed Northfin Veggie 1mm and 2 mm in the morning and spirulina flakes at night. The 1mm are to make sure the smaller species and juveniles get their share (especially cynotilapia sp. lion). I might stop eventually.

That’s what the cichlid store/breeders I bought them from have been feeding their fish for years so I went with that and so far, so good !
Idech

Postby DJRansome » Wed Mar 03, 2021 2:24 pm

I know people feel larger fish need larger mm, but I feed 1mm to all sizes of Africans. Same food for all. Except fry under one inch including tail for whom I use NLS Grow.

I tried 2mm one time for an 8 inch borleyi that I acquired fully grown. It seemed like he did not see the 1mm...and was fine with the 2mm. But you don't have to feed all your fish something different.
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby Smeagol » Wed Mar 03, 2021 7:55 pm

DJRansome wrote:I know people feel larger fish need larger mm, but I feed 1mm to all sizes of Africans. Same food for all. Except fry under one inch including tail for whom I use NLS Grow.

I tried 2mm one time for an 8 inch borleyi that I acquired fully grown. It seemed like he did not see the 1mm...and was fine with the 2mm. But you don't have to feed all your fish something different.

Thanks! I was wondering about that. I saw all the different sizes, and I thought maybe I need different size food for different species. I know NLS is high quality, but don't the fish need some variety, instead of just one kind of food all the time?
Smeagol

Postby DJRansome » Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:07 pm

All the variety is built into the staple foods...read the ingredients. Consistency is important to fish.

If the fishkeeper wants to feed variety, try a whole zucchini cut in half. Remove what is left after 8 hours.
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby Smeagol » Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:44 pm

DJRansome wrote:All the variety is built into the staple foods...read the ingredients. Consistency is important to fish.

If the fishkeeper wants to feed variety, try a whole zucchini cut in half. Remove what is left after 8 hours.

I have read the ingredients. And I notice that the first two ingredients in NLS Cichlid formula are not vegetable. So how is that the best feed for species whose primary diet is supposed to be vegetable-based?
Smeagol

Postby Idech » Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:58 pm

Kelp is the first ingredients in Northfin Veggie formula : https://www.northfin.com/services/veggie-formula/
Idech

Postby Smeagol » Thu Mar 04, 2021 11:13 pm

Idech wrote:Kelp is the first ingredients in Northfin Veggie formula : https://www.northfin.com/services/veggie-formula/

Yes, but the first 3 ingredients of Northfin's cichlid formula are non-vegetable (Whole Antarctic Krill Meal, Whole Herring Meal, Whole Sardine Meal).

I'm aware that there are vegetable-based foods available. That's not the question. The question is why are foods that have protein as their 1st, 2nd, 3rd ingredients recommended for cichlids that are omnivores/herbivores.
Smeagol

Postby DJRansome » Thu Mar 04, 2021 11:21 pm

Check the overall protein content...NLS is 37% and Northfin is 40%. The aufwuchs that mbuna eat consists of algae as well as microorganisms that include zooplankton.

Even spirulina is high in protein.

The fish are not as herbivorous as advertised.
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby Smeagol » Fri Mar 05, 2021 1:20 am

DJRansome wrote:Check the overall protein content...NLS is 37% and Northfin is 40%. The aufwuchs that mbuna eat consists of algae as well as microorganisms that include zooplankton.

Even spirulina is high in protein.

The fish are not as herbivorous as advertised.

Good point. I hear what you're saying... "not as herbivorous as advertised" because the algae and microorganisms in their natural diet provide significant protein. Still, I'm leaning toward giving NorthFin Veggie formula a try (36% min. protein content). I've been feeding my freshwater community fish NLS for years, and they never seemed crazy about it. They eat it, because they have to, but they never seem to get too excited about it. At times I've felt like I had to coax them into eating it. So I'm leaning toward trying the NorthFin Veggie pellets because I hear they're really smelly and irresistible. :D
Smeagol

Postby DJRansome » Fri Mar 05, 2021 3:55 am

I have fed both NLS and Northfin and my fish did not find either more irresistible. The eat both voraciously. I find the Northfin harder to get, more expensive and the pellet size is smaller for some reason even though both are 1mm. NLS improved their forumula (again) so I went back. Love those 1G plastic buckets too!
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby noddy » Fri Mar 05, 2021 9:25 am

Good point DJ. Northfin is smaller. I feed NLS 1mm and Northfin 2mm to my fish.
When I accidentally bought NLS 2mm I had to grind it up before I fed it to my cyps.

Both are great foods. I will add Dainichi to the list of great foods (even though it costs a lot more and I can't find it anymore).
noddy

Postby Smeagol » Fri Mar 05, 2021 9:40 am

DJRansome wrote:I have fed both NLS and Northfin and my fish did not find either more irresistible. The eat both voraciously. I find the Northfin harder to get, more expensive and the pellet size is smaller for some reason even though both are 1mm. NLS improved their forumula (again) so I went back. Love those 1G plastic buckets too!

From what I've heard, mbuna are voracious eaters plain and simple. So I'm sure they'll happily gobble down either NorthFin or NLS. But I'm leaning towards giving NorthFin a try. It's a little bit more expensive, but not outrageously so. If one brand was clearly superior to the other, I'd go with it; but since opinion is divided, I like the idea of trying something new. Also, I imagine the smaller pellet size that you mentioned will be perfect for juveniles, no? I can always switch to a larger pellet size once the fish have grown. I've heard a few people say NorthFin is "hard to get." I don't understand that. It's available online. They deliver it right to your door.
Smeagol

Next

Return to Illness, Health & Nutrition