Illness, Health & Nutrition • Please help

For discussion on fish illness, health and nutrition.

Moderator: Robin

Please help

Postby Kay1988 » Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:41 am

Hi guys, I’m wondering if anyone can shed some light on what has happened to my tank. I have a juwel Rio 350, wave maker external and internal filter. Water is around 26 degrees centigrade. Water parameters were normal ph 8.0 ammonia 0 nitrite 0 nitrate 10. Performed a water change as normal last night as it was due. Then this morning at least half my stock is dead or dying. I had yellow tail acei, yellow labs and peticula. Last night they were all well swimming and eating fine, no signs of disease.
Nothing new added to the tank in months. The only change recently made was switched to origins veggie. I really don’t know what has happened to my tank and i am devastated.
My fish are what has got me through this pandemic as well as my family obviously, but after an awful day at work (I’m a nurse) I come home and just watch my tank for a bit and distress.
If anyone has any ideas of what went wrong and what I should do now that would be great. Thank you
Kay x
Kay1988

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Please help

Postby Deeda » Mon Nov 16, 2020 11:37 am

I'm so sorry for your loss!

Since the deaths occurred so fast I can think of only 2 possibilities, forgetting to add a dechlorinator for the new water or that something was on your hands when you put them in the tank. I have seen some recent posts on other forums regarding people forgetting they had hand sanitizer on their hands or arms and caused similar issues with fish loss.

I would check your tap water for chlorine or chloramine levels first and then proceed from there. If it was related to hand sanitizer or similar, additional water changes plus adding activated carbon to the tank filter should help remove the contaminant hopefully.
Fishless Cycling
Posting Pics Eff. June 20, 2017, Photobucket does not allow free pic hosting

Dee
Eheim filter user
Member since 3/7/2006
Deeda

Return to Illness, Health & Nutrition