Illness, Health & Nutrition • Popeye

For discussion on fish illness, health and nutrition.

Moderator: Robin

Popeye

Postby Raiderb81 » Sun Nov 08, 2020 4:35 pm

Hey new to the site and I’m having a problem with my 180 gallon hap tank with popeye I have Buccochromis Rhoadesii Yellow Leptura that’s had it all summer it comes and goes then my Buccochromis nototaenia got it then my Buccochromis Heterotaenia got it all three are in my quarantine tanks 3 10 gallons trying to recover. Then been in quarantine for 2 weeks now. But now looking at my tank and see another fish Azureus Cichlid has it all the fish have it in both eyes. My ammonia is 0 nitrites are 0 and nitrates are about 40 I do weekly water changes about 75 to 80%. I keep the water at 80 degrees, black sand, a few rocks and elite Cichlid plants in there. It’s filtered with 3 fluval fx6. Idk I’m at a loss here idk what causing this there doesn’t seem to me any fighting in there pretty piece full tank for the most part. There’s about 35 haps in there ranging from 3 in to 8 in so idk I’m hoping you guys have some input for me. When I had my 75 gallon as my display tank I never had an issue with popeye till I got this tank in June thanks
Raiderb81

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Popeye

Postby shiftyfox » Mon Nov 09, 2020 10:14 am

Reducing your nitrates for starters would be a good idea. 2 water changes a week and try and half your test result.
shiftyfox

Postby DJRansome » Mon Nov 09, 2020 7:43 pm

I would also stock fewer fish. I assume this is a 72" tank? Are these all males?

If you get your nitrates down to 10ppm you may see improvement.

As something to think about I like 18 individuals that mature less than or equal to six inches in an all-male tank that is 72" long.
125G Borleyi, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Similis, Petricola
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby jcover » Tue Nov 10, 2020 11:22 pm

Raiderb81 wrote:Hey new to the site and I’m having a problem with my 180 gallon hap tank with popeye I have Buccochromis Rhoadesii Yellow Leptura that’s had it all summer it comes and goes then my Buccochromis nototaenia got it then my Buccochromis Heterotaenia got it all three are in my quarantine tanks 3 10 gallons trying to recover. Then been in quarantine for 2 weeks now. But now looking at my tank and see another fish Azureus Cichlid has it all the fish have it in both eyes. My ammonia is 0 nitrites are 0 and nitrates are about 40 I do weekly water changes about 75 to 80%. I keep the water at 80 degrees, black sand, a few rocks and elite Cichlid plants in there. It’s filtered with 3 fluval fx6. Idk I’m at a loss here idk what causing this there doesn’t seem to me any fighting in there pretty piece full tank for the most part. There’s about 35 haps in there ranging from 3 in to 8 in so idk I’m hoping you guys have some input for me. When I had my 75 gallon as my display tank I never had an issue with popeye till I got this tank in June thanks

I'd change this! Very overstocked tank!
jcover

Postby sir_keith » Wed Nov 11, 2020 9:21 pm

jcover wrote: ...I'd change this! Very overstocked tank!...

I second that, in spades. You have a systemic infection caused by chronic stress due to overstocking. Your setup and your husbandry are fine; you just have way too many fishes. Good luck.
sir_keith

Postby Raiderb81 » Sat Nov 14, 2020 1:27 pm

Hey thanks for all the input I took out a bunch of fish and here’s my stock list that I really don’t wanna remove
1. Red Fin (Borleyi) OB
2. Dimidiochromis Compressiceps “Eye Biter”
3. Tangerine Tiger
4. Super Red Empress Cichlid
5. OB Peacock
6. Protomelas Hertae
7. Protomelas Ornatus Flavimanus “Rare”
8. Fossochromis Rostratusl
9. Buccochromis Spectabilis
10. Nimbochromis fuscotaeniatus “Hap Fusco”
11. Bristle nose Pleco
12. Jack Dempsey
13. Protomelas Steveni Imperial “Blue Gold”
14. Aristochromis Christyi “Malawi Hawk”
15. Aristo Yellow Blaze “Z Rock”
16. Nimbochromis Sp. Venustus
17. Nimbochromis livingstonii
18. Protomelas sp. "Spilonotus Tanzania"
19. Protomelas Taiwan Reef
20. Champsochromis Caeruleus "Malawi trout"
21. Placidochromis Milomo VC10

These guys are QT with popeye trying to treat and would like to add back to the tank

1. Buccochromis Yellow Rhoadessii (size 6 1/2”)
2. Buccochromis nototaenia
3. Buccochromis Heterotaenia
4. OB Lithobates Aka Zrock Op

The Jack Dempsey was the first fish I ever got when I got into the hobby a few years ago that’s why he’s in there. So I know it’s still more then 18 and fish that will get bigger then 6 inch but fish I can’t live without so let me know if it’s better or if I need to slim down more thanks
Raiderb81

Postby Raiderb81 » Sat Nov 14, 2020 4:17 pm

Also I added a algae scrubber to the tank. Also have a question before I got this 180 back in June I never had problems with popeye or any other diseases for two years or more I started having these issues when I got the 180 my 75 gallon was stocked pretty well with about 15 to 20 fish in there I believe. So when I got the 180 I switch from using prime to fritz a.c.c.r I see prime or safe detoxifies nitrite and nitrate I know I have to many fish in here but also my 75 gallon was over stocked also and never had an issue. So is seachem safe better the fritz a.c.c.r thanks
Raiderb81

Postby jcover » Sat Nov 14, 2020 8:56 pm

25 fish, with several of them achieving 12" or larger in size is far too many fish for this size of tank. I would think you would need a 300 gallon 8ft aquarium at a minimum to host all of these fish long term.
jcover

Return to Illness, Health & Nutrition