Illness, Health & Nutrition • Egg Tumbling Issue

For discussion on fish illness, health and nutrition.

Moderator: Robin

Egg Tumbling Issue

Postby Dr Bob » Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:08 pm

I started egg tumbling about a year ago with a great amount of success. I soon needed several grow out tanks to handle the developing fry. In the last few months however I’ve suddenly developed a problem whereby they will not develop. After a few days they virtually all turn white and exhibit a white fuzz like fungus. I really have not deviated from my early technique where I enjoyed virtually unlimited success. Need some suggestions!!
Dr Bob

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Egg Tumbling Issue

Postby sir_keith » Sun Sep 13, 2020 9:13 pm

It sounds like the eggs have not been fertilized. Have you actually witnessed a typical male/female spawning? If so, how old is your male? They have been known to go through the motions even though the tank is empty, so to speak. :o
sir_keith

Postby Dr Bob » Mon Sep 14, 2020 6:14 pm

That was EXACTLY my first thought! I did see them circling and watched the female lay the eggs on the floor of the aquarium. I watched her suck them up and then went behind the male. I gave her about 5 days before stripping. Makes sense however that the male may “out of gas”.... Really appreciate your post!! Dr Bob
Dr Bob

Postby sir_keith » Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:06 pm

It's really the only thing that makes sense if all the eggs were infertile.
sir_keith

Postby Dr Bob » Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:03 pm

Let’s assume the male is sterile. Now it really doesn’t matter one way or the other. Let’s assume he has normal capability for sperm production. How long does it take for fertilization to occur while the female is holding?? Or does fertilization adequately occur extraorally?? Should I wait a few days to strip, making sure the eggs are fertilized??
Dr Bob

Postby DJRansome » Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:16 pm

I always wait 7 days...not because it takes that long to fertilize, but because if they are not fertilized the mom will usually spit them by then, saving me the trouble of catching her.
125G Borleyi, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Similis, Petricola
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby Dr Bob » Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:31 pm

Great advice! Thank you!!
Dr Bob

Return to Illness, Health & Nutrition