Illness, Health & Nutrition • New death in 210

For discussion on fish illness, health and nutrition.

Moderator: Robin

Re: New death in 210

Postby Dooner » Wed Sep 18, 2019 1:58 pm

Ok, I did a 50% water change today and this time I figured out how to bypass the water softener for the cold water. There is no tank reservoir for cold water, but the hot water sits, softened, in a 55 gallon tank. The combination of the two yielded 12 on the gh instead of 2. I was also able to net and move the “king” of the tank, a male otopharynx tetrastigma. He is beautiful, so someone will be lucky to get him. I can tell you the remaining fish appear calmer already though that could be my imagination. A few are coloring up a bit already. We’ll see how it goes.
Dooner

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby DJRansome » Wed Sep 18, 2019 2:29 pm

OK so I would not add Epsom salts ongoing, and maybe no aquarium salts either.

As of now what is the pH, KH and GH of your tank?

Before the 50% PWC and before adding Epsom salts you had:
pH=8
KH=15
GH=2

Ongoing your tap will be GH=12 but what will be the pH and KH of the water from the various taps that you will use for PWC?
125G Borleyi, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Similis, Petricola
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby Dooner » Wed Sep 18, 2019 4:06 pm

OK so I would not add Epsom salts ongoing, and maybe no aquarium salts either.
- I will hold off on all additives other than Prime for now.

As of now what is the pH, KH and GH of your tank?
- after today’s water change, I had a pH of 8.2, kH of 15, and gH of 9.

Before the 50% PWC and before adding Epsom salts you had:
pH=8
KH=15
GH=2

Ongoing your tap will be GH=12 but what will be the pH and KH of the water from the various taps that you will use for PWC?
- I tested the water just now from the tap I will use and had a gH of 2, kH of14 and ph of 8.2. That is softened hot and cold water. If I understand it correctly the water softener exchanges calcium and magnesium ions for sodium ions. The pH was 8.2.
- I also tested that same tap after bypassing the water softener, thus the hot water will be softened but the cold water will not be and the results showed that. The pH dropped to 7.6. I will have to watch that, but I do have stone and substrate that raises the pH once the water goes into the tank. The gh was 19 and the kH 13.
Dooner

Postby DJRansome » Wed Sep 18, 2019 4:14 pm

pH of 7.6 is fine, but you have to transition to that gradually...only 0.2 change in pH per week.

Conclusion mix cold unsoftened water for all future water changes. Over a period of months you will end up with:
pH=7.6
KH=13
GH=19

Test that "mix" tap water again after it is out of the pipes for 24 hours...your pH might be higher.
125G Borleyi, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Similis, Petricola
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Previous

Return to Illness, Health & Nutrition