Cichlid Fish Forum banner

Pimple like bump on my Blood Parrot Cichlid

26K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  Kofiashwood 
#1 ·
Recently I noticed a pinkie sized pimple sized bump on my Blood Parrot Cichlid anyone know what this is and how to treat it? Its sort of white and blends in with the Cichlids skin I would post pics but the forums not letting me

#3 ·
Sorry, I don't have a decent diagnoses. Perhaps someone else will. It could be anything from a parasite, to an infection, to a tumor, to nothing much to worry about.

About 15 years ago, my Kissing Gourami developed a very similar ailment on his forehead. It eventually opened up leaving an open hole, very similar in appearance to HITH. I believe I only treated with salt. It took a long while, but it eventually cleared up, and that fish is now over 20 years old with no remaining signs.

#7 ·
vietboy,

I would isolate him if you can, to prevent stress from agression or whatever, and add probably a tablespoon per 10 gallons of water of aquarium salt, and raise the "quarantine" tank temperature to about 86 degrees, but no more than 1-2 degrees per day.

I would also raise the main tank to 86 (1-2 degrees per day) and leave it at 86 for 3-5 days to kill anything living in the water column that could affect another fish, just to be safe.

The higher temperature will kill most pathogens in the water, the salt can sometimes slow down/kill pathogens but it's main purpose is the increase of osmotic pressure, making it easier for the fish to breathe, think of it like an "oxygen mask" for your fish, as with whatever he has he may be having respiratory issues/not getting enough oxygen.

Good luck!

-John

#8 ·
If the issue is bacterial, heat can actually make it worse. Use of salt is a good idea, increasing the dosage to (initially) 1 tablespoon per 5 gallons, but I likely would not increase the temp.

I consider it more likely to be something along the lines of an abscess than something parasitic. If it's an abscess, the risk of a subsequent bacterial infection is substantial and increased temperature would make this even more likely.

Be on the lookout for something white sticking out of the "pimple". This would be symptomatic of Anchorworms.

If the pimple opens up into a wound, the issue is bacterial and treatment with something along the lines of SeaChem KanaPlex would be in order.

#10 ·
That would be the recommendation.

I don't see any harm in going ahead and dosing with something along the lines of SeaChem KanaPlex, as KanaPlex (properly dosed) will not harm the beneficial bacteria.

#11 ·
Bro even my yellow parrot has the same pimple kinda bump near the eye I have changed the water and also added rock salt and have set temperature to 28degree celcious is there anything I can do to help the fish recover from this ? Becuase this parrot fish is not eating food from the time it had this bump please help me guys

#12 ·
Dont panic! I am here to help you. I had encountered the same problem with my gold blood parrot cichlid. It was always hiding and scared when it had that pimple on the forehead. I went ahead and isolated him in a lil quarantine bowl in the tank. Bought melafix to treat it and a help Of A Q tip. I applied it directly to the wound or pimple and in 3 days, my problem is solved

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.