Unidentified Cichlids • Fish Maury - And the father is....

Here's where you need to go to get help identifying your Cichlids.

Moderators: Chester B, StructureGuy

Fish Maury - And the father is....

Postby MC317 » Wed Dec 23, 2020 10:20 am

On this episode of Fish Maury!: Who are the parents?!

We've had this same group for almost a year now and suddenly we noticed we had fry! I've only spotted 3 so far. They're very good at hiding. I'm not sure who the parents are, many of them I can't sex. I suspect the red zebra because he seems to rule the roost.
None of the fish seem to show interest/aggression toward the small fry, but I'll be separating them today just in case. Who would you guess are the parents?!
The candidates are:
1. Image
2. Image
3. Image
4. Image
5. Image
6. Image
7. Image
MC317

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Fish Maury - And the father is....

Postby Deeda » Wed Dec 23, 2020 12:16 pm

Is the orange colored fish in pic #3 the same fish as pic #7? If so, your only choices are pic #5 and #7.
Fishless Cycling
Posting Pics Eff. June 20, 2017, Photobucket does not allow free pic hosting

Dee
Eheim filter user
Member since 3/7/2006
Deeda

Postby Sinister-Kisses » Wed Dec 23, 2020 2:53 pm

I just wanted to point out, this is not a very good mix of fish at all. That poor, poor little Texas (second from last picture) is a Central American cichlid and not at ALL compatible with African cichlids - which is why the poor thing is hiding and his fins are beat. Please remove/rehome ASAP.

Second very major issue is the Buttikoferi. The yellow/black striped one in pic 3. How big is your tank? Technically, butti are African, but they are more like Central American large cichlids. They get VERY big (12" or more) and are EXTREMELY aggressive. Another rehome ASAP.
SinisterKisses

135gal 8ft: Marbled fenestratus
40gal long: C. saulosi
Plus a whole bunch of betta tanks
Sinister-Kisses

Postby MC317 » Wed Dec 23, 2020 3:41 pm

Thanks for the reply! I was gifted the butti (hate when people gift fish just because you have fish) and I know I need to get him out of there soon.
I didn't realize the Texas was incompatible. Zebra picks on her a little but she's actually very social. I'll look for better homes for both of them.
MC317

Postby noki » Thu Dec 24, 2020 7:06 pm

Definately is a Malawi mbuna fry, most likely Zebra mix, the Auratus does not seem to be involved.

Generally they will ignore little ones... unless they look like food to swallow and eat. You do have a few fish that get larger and if given the opportunity will try to eat babies.
noki

Return to Unidentified Cichlids