Unidentified Cichlids • help identifying Cichlid ++

Here's where you need to go to get help identifying your Cichlids.

Moderators: Chester B, StructureGuy

help identifying Cichlid ++

Postby jamielee123 » Tue Dec 01, 2020 10:36 pm

Hi there,

I recently adopted an African Cichlid from a friend who was moving and unable to take it. I don't know much about it.
Through my google search I think I have identified it as a Labidochromis Caeruleus? Can anyone please confirm?
I would also like to identify if it a male or female, as I would like to introduce another fish for company (not for breeding).
I'm not sure what fish would make good companions so any information re: tank mates please would be greatly appreciated.
As well any information regarding recommended tank size (with and without companion), or really ANY helpful tips ++ would be welcome!

Thank you!
Attachments
Screen Shot 2020-12-01 at 9.28.19 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-12-01 at 9.28.10 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-12-01 at 9.28.10 PM.png (139.08 KiB) Viewed 276 times
jamielee123

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: help identifying Cichlid ++

Postby DJRansome » Wed Dec 02, 2020 1:40 pm

It looks very orange for Labidochromis caeruleus but maybe you can confirm that is the lighting? Does it look yellow in person?

There is a hybrid between Labidochromis caeruleus and Metriaclima estherae, but the hybrids usually don't have the black fins.

Ideal would be to add female Labidochromis caeruleus and keep it in a 48x12 rectangle tank or larger.
125G Borleyi, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Similis, Petricola
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby Sinister-Kisses » Wed Dec 02, 2020 9:22 pm

Looks like a nice deep yellow on my screen, I see nothing that makes me think hybrid. Bit chunky, could probably go on a diet, but otherwise one of the nicer looking labs I've seen in a long time.
SinisterKisses

135gal 8ft: Marbled fenestratus
40gal long: C. saulosi
Plus a whole bunch of betta tanks
Sinister-Kisses

Postby Idech » Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:19 pm

It looks orange to me too. Maybe it’s the lighting and/or it’s a labidochromis caeruleus Ruware ?
Idech

Postby noki » Thu Dec 03, 2020 2:25 am

Does seem like Yellow Lab in most ways, just that the body and face are broader, maybe just older and chunky like Sinister suggests. Maybe a hybrid that looks more like a Yellow Lab, could be possible.

This is a Mbuna, and they are usually kept in larger communities of other Malawi cichlids, usually Mbuna which are rather active intense fish, and not in a small tank. A four foot long tank is good. You should not have two Mbuna alone in a tank, so don't get a companion, because they usually fight or hide too much. These are not pairing cichlids.

If you have a smaller tank, you could try non cichlid companions that are not too small or delicate, and they may ignore each other. Your fish may show some territoriality, and may beat up some fish but may mostly ignore non cichlids.
noki

Postby jamielee123 » Fri Dec 04, 2020 4:47 pm

Thanks for the information!

I can confirm it does look orange in person. I have asked a few friends who are over what colour they think it is - and they agree orange.
I added some additional photos but I understand it's difficult to assess via screen view.

Sinister - It has definitely gained weight, I added a heater to the tank when I read up on recommended water temps & since then it has become much more active and eats often.
Should I be limiting its intake?

I do plan on upgrading it's tank size. DJRansome are you suggesting this Cichlid to be female, if you are thinking I could add another female?

Noki - If I were not to pair this Cichlid with another, is there much point to adding additional companies if they are likely to ignore each other anyways ?

Thank you for taking the time to help!
Attachments
WhatsApp Image 2020-12-04 at 3.49.42 PM.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2020-12-04 at 3.49.42 PM (2).jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2020-12-04 at 3.49.42 PM (1).jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2020-12-04 at 3.49.15 PM.jpeg
jamielee123

Postby DJRansome » Fri Dec 04, 2020 7:03 pm

Mbuna are not pairing fish. In a 48" tank you would want to add 4 females. That works whether the original fish is female or male...hard to tell with labs.

I would not save fry since Labidochromis caeruleus should not be orange.
125G Borleyi, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Similis, Petricola
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby Sinister-Kisses » Fri Dec 04, 2020 9:56 pm

Agreed, if it is actually orange toned then there's gotta be something else in the mix - as nice as it looks otherwise. As mentioned, you need a group, not a pair, when it comes to mbuna.
SinisterKisses

135gal 8ft: Marbled fenestratus
40gal long: C. saulosi
Plus a whole bunch of betta tanks
Sinister-Kisses

Return to Unidentified Cichlids