Unidentified Cichlids • Identification help please? Newbie alert.

Here's where you need to go to get help identifying your Cichlids.

Moderators: Chester B, StructureGuy

Identification help please? Newbie alert.

Postby CichlidNewbie2020 » Fri Nov 27, 2020 3:05 am

I jumped into the fishkeeping hobby just months ago and became fascinated by Lake Malawi Cichlids. I've got a small collection that seems to have been going smoothly. I bought a couple of my peacocks online, two others I pulled from a pet store (we refer to it as Ichland) and quarantined/treated them before adding to my collection. I'm still in the process of learning but research hasn't helped me with certain things, so here I am. I need help identifying the two "assorted" peacocks that I shamelessly grabbed spontaneously from a chain store. The darker peacock is about 4" and appears to be blue, red and purple. The juvenile is about 2", purple body with yellow fins and a yellow stripe down the shoulder. Almost looks like my midnight but there are many inconsistencies. I'm guessing that they are hybrids, but what do you guys think? Have you seen these before?
Attachments
20201127_010617.jpg
20201127_010456.jpg
20201127_010606.jpg
20201127_010605.jpg
CichlidNewbie2020

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Identification help please? Newbie alert.

Postby sir_keith » Fri Nov 27, 2020 8:32 am

Anything that you get from an 'Assorted Peacock' tank in a chain store will almost invariably be an interspecific hybrid of some sort, and you will never be able to figure out what you actually have.
sir_keith

Re: Identification help please? Newbie alert.

Postby CichlidNewbie2020 » Sat Nov 28, 2020 1:59 am

I appreciate you confirming my assumptions! I'll still accept educated guesses from the experienced (if any), just for the fun of it. I love the purple, and I can't wait to see how the other one turns out.
CichlidNewbie2020

Return to Unidentified Cichlids