Unidentified Cichlids • Yellow Lab Hybrid?

Here's where you need to go to get help identifying your Cichlids.

Moderators: Chester B, StructureGuy

Yellow Lab Hybrid?

Postby SK9! » Sat Oct 03, 2020 10:57 pm

I have 6 yellow labs in my tank along with other cichlids, 5 of the yellow labs are the same in color but the 6th one is more of a golden yellow almost like orange. I attached pictures. Can anyone tell me if that yellow lab looks like a hybrid.
Attachments
20201003_224404.jpg
20201003_222938.jpg
20201003_224349.jpg
20201003_220636.jpg
SK9!

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Yellow Lab Hybrid?

Postby sir_keith » Sun Oct 04, 2020 12:49 am

This fish does not look like a hybrid to me. Labidochromis have a characteristic body shape that is quite distinct from other Mbuna, and I see no evidence that this fish has body morphometrics that are different from wild-type Labidochromis. What I do see is a fish that is hyperxanthic, that is, he has more yellow pigment than most.

Labidochromis caeruleus exhibit a wide range of body colors in nature. As originally described, this is a fish with a white body. Selective breeding in captivity by Pierre Brichard and others resulted in the 'Electric Yellow' variant that now predominates the hobby. The important point here is that there is a great deal of genetic variation in the amount of yellow pigment in this species; just look amongst the fry of a given brood, and you will see some fishes that are very yellow, and others that appear 'washed-out.' Your fish just has more yellow pigment than most.

Quantitative variations in the amount of yellow/orange pigment are often selected in 'line-bred' aquarium fishes to produce more 'colorful' strains. For example, Tropheus sp. 'black' Bemba is a black fish with a wide orange band that bisects the mid-body. Tropheus sp. 'black' Bemba Red is a line-bred derivative that produces more pigment, so the mid-body band appears red. Goldfish are another good example, as is Labidochromis caeruleus. The production of xanthic pigments can also be influenced by diet.
sir_keith

Re: Yellow Lab Hybrid?

Postby SK9! » Sun Oct 04, 2020 1:00 am

Thank you Keith
SK9!

Return to Unidentified Cichlids