Unidentified Cichlids • Need help Identifying Peacock, suspect it’s Nyasse?

Here's where you need to go to get help identifying your Cichlids.

Moderators: Chester B, StructureGuy

Need help Identifying Peacock, suspect it’s Nyasse?

Postby Luhann » Sat Jun 13, 2020 11:28 am

Please help Identifying this Peacock
Attachments
7862752F-396F-4FBA-A17E-01511B7516C4.jpeg
Luhann

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Need help Identifying Peacock, suspect it’s Nyasse?

Postby noki » Sat Jun 13, 2020 12:32 pm

Sciaenochromis fryeri, the Electric Blue Hap, is the elongated shiny blue fish.

Nyassae is a meaningless old trade name for Aulonocara cichlids. It come from an old vague scientific name, but no such fish is kept in the hobby, but it is confusingly used sometimes still.
noki

Postby Luhann » Sat Jun 13, 2020 1:16 pm

Thanks Noki, I think you are right, just googled some juveniles and it looks spot on. It was sold in a mix peacock batch, so just kinda assumed (as it does sort of look like an Aulunocara) that it was one. I could however not find any blue Peacock on the web.
Luhann

Postby DJRansome » Sat Jun 13, 2020 1:55 pm

There are lots of blue peacocks, but when you buy fish that are sold as mixed they could easily be hybrids.
125G Borleyi, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Similis, Petricola
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby Lars23 » Sat Jun 13, 2020 8:54 pm

While im new as the next guy with cichlids i can vouch for the assorted peacock tank. They have no idea what they are or the sex. I bought what looked like an uncolored male with egg spots and male fins and she was holding fry 2 weeks later as in today i pulled 6 fry from her mouth from not eating.
Lars23

Postby sir_keith » Sun Jun 14, 2020 2:51 pm

noki wrote: ...Nyassae is a meaningless old trade name for Aulonocara cichlids. It come from an old vague scientific name, but no such fish is kept in the hobby, but it is confusingly used sometimes still.

True. Many years ago I acquired some of the earliest captive-bred specimens of 'The Malawi Peacock,' which was known as Aulonacara nyassae. At that time we did not know that there were many different species of Aulonacara.
sir_keith

Postby Fogelhund » Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:41 am

sir_keith wrote:
noki wrote: ...Nyassae is a meaningless old trade name for Aulonocara cichlids. It come from an old vague scientific name, but no such fish is kept in the hobby, but it is confusingly used sometimes still.

True. Many years ago I acquired some of the earliest captive-bred specimens of 'The Malawi Peacock,' which was known as Aulonacara nyassae. At that time we did not know that there were many different species of Aulonacara.

There is an Aulonocara nyassae, though I'm not sure it's ever been exported...and if it was, it likely wasn't in the hobby for long, as it's a rather drab fish...

I had some Pseudotropheus peterdavisae once....LOL.... ya, that's an old, long since dead name too.
Fogelhund

Return to Unidentified Cichlids