Unidentified Cichlids • Juvenile cichlid identification

Here's where you need to go to get help identifying your Cichlids.

Moderators: Chester B, StructureGuy

Juvenile cichlid identification

Postby Dzewa » Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:16 pm

So I've just recently purchased some ghost shrimp at my lfs and Happened to notice this little guy all alone in the feeder tank With the shrimp. I asked the store owner if he could identify it but he had no idea so I asked how much and he just threw him in with the shrimp for free. Of course I didn't want the little dude to face the same fate as the feeder shrimp so I've currently got him in with my brichardis. I'm pretty sure he's still a juvenile, I've had him for about a week and he's nearly doubled in size and is currently only about 3/4 of an inch long and starting to develop his colors. I'm pretty sure it's a cichlid but not 100% sure. I am fairly new to keeping cichlids and I don't quite feel knowledgeable enough to properly I.D him myself. Can somebody help me out?

637E63B4-6314-4860-97E5-9078E7D36B07.jpeg
Dzewa

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Juvenile cichlid identification

Postby Mr Chromedome » Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:42 pm

Odds on favorite would be some kind of "Tilapia", but at that size so many of them look the same. Likely will get large fairly quick, so wait a couple of weeks and see if more changes occur. There are a couple of species that could be collected with wild Ghost Shrimp in Florida, as it is not unusual to see the odd fish of different kinds come it with a batch of feeder shrimp.
Happiness may be the door to Heaven, but Pleasure is not the Key. - attributed to Confucius
Mr Chromedome

Return to Unidentified Cichlids