Unidentified Cichlids • Rusty Hybrid?

Here's where you need to go to get help identifying your Cichlids.

Moderators: Chester B, StructureGuy

Rusty Hybrid?

Postby NewBK » Tue May 28, 2019 8:44 pm

So, I bought Rusties from a a local guy off Craigslist and I'm thinking these guys are hybrids with cobalt cichlids.
Most of them are brown, just like the blue one was. But as they've grown, the one has turned blue with bars. Since these are my first Africans I thought it may have been stress and he'd color up like a rusty, but he's stayed this color.

I know the guy had cobalt zebra for sale as well so that's why I'm thinking they are cobalt hybrids. Is that a thing? Do rusties and cobalts normally get it on?

It's not a huge deal since I don't plan on trying to sell fry or anything, but I'm thinking the hybrids won't be as peaceful as rusties.
Attachments
IMG_20190528_173444.jpg
IMG_20190528_173447.jpg
NewBK

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Rusty Hybrid?

Postby NewBK » Tue May 28, 2019 8:56 pm

After some research, I'm starting to think that the guy just didn't know what he was selling at all. I think his fish weren't cobalt cichlids at all and were actually Maylandia greshakei. So yeah. I think I just got taken and these aren't rusties at all.

Guess you get what you get when you get fish off craigslist.

Now the problem becomes whether there will be fighting due to multiple blue fish and... well #%$&
NewBK

Re: Rusty Hybrid?

Postby noki » Wed May 29, 2019 10:53 pm

Yes, seem like low quality Greshakei, or at least part. Sometimes they sell them as "Ice Blue".
noki

Return to Unidentified Cichlids