Cichlid Fish Forum banner

Fish ID Help Ngara Flametail or Flavescent Peacock

3K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  noki 
#1 ·
Trying to identify a fish that I bought as juvenile with a bunch of juveniles that now is showing color. I can't tell is this as Ngara Flametail or Flavescent Peacock.

At first I thought it was a Flavescent but am not so sure now. The fish in question was is 3-4 inches.

Thanks in advance.

See less See more
#5 ·
DJRansome said:
To me it looks blue and yellow in the pics which would not be either of those. What was it sold to you as?
A flavescent peacock is blue and yellow based on what I understand. My local LFS guy who has tons of Africans knowledge, as that what he specializes in, does not think it is a falvescent but said a flametail. I don't see it as I agree with you that more blue yellow versus blue orange.

The problem is I got 14 juvies but had several deaths during a bad heat period last summer. I know he is definitely between one of these two as I ordered both and he doesn't really match anything else i order.

#8 ·
Flavescent is properly called Aulonocara stuartgranti Usisya. It has a lot more black than that fish. Check out the profile pics on CF. I have also kept this fish.

If you are breeding, I would put this one in a separate tank.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.