Cichlid Fish Forum banner

Electric Blue Johanni's? Male? Female?

3K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  AxlJack 
#1 ·
Hello all! I am fairly new to the African cichlid world and am trying to get a tank set up with a good male:female ratio. However, I am finding it VERY difficult to identify the breed and then sexing each one. I know we have all African cichlids except for the Jack Dempsey, and 2 plecos. The Jack Dempsey will be going back, and switched with hopefully a female of one of the other breeds.

So, here is the first question.. are these blue johanni's? If so what sexes? The 2 with stripes have yellow on their fins and yellow tints. The other is just straight pale blue

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Problem is that the "Electric Blue Johanni" sold are often hybrids, so they can vary a lot. Good Maingano should be dark.
Good fish look like these https://www.cichlid-forum.com/profiles/species.php?id=756

1. First one looks more like a "Socolofi", might be female. Shouldn't be that pale blue. Males should be black with blue horizontal markings.

2. Second looks female at this point, real "Maingano" shouldn't look that washed out.

#3 ·
noki said:
Problem is that the "Electric Blue Johanni" sold are often hybrids, so they can vary a lot. Good Maingano should be dark.
Good fish look like these https://www.cichlid-forum.com/profiles/species.php?id=756

1. First one looks more like a "Socolofi", might be female. Shouldn't be that pale blue. Males should be black with blue horizontal markings.

2. Second looks female at this point, real "Maingano" shouldn't look that washed out.
Thank you for the response. I looked up the socolofi, do they tend to be skinnier and longer? It does look like one. It is always with one of the other striped ones, so that's why I thought maybe they were same breed, but maybe not? So you think the other is a maingano but possible a hybrid with something else?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.