Unidentified Cichlids • What kind of cichlid is this?

Here's where you need to go to get help identifying your Cichlids.

Moderators: Chester B, StructureGuy

What kind of cichlid is this?

Postby jgrillout » Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:32 pm

need a idea of what the name of this fish is please
thanks,
John

unknown.GIF
unknown.GIF (5.23 KiB) Viewed 555 times
75 gallon freshwater
Blue Johanni 
Bumblebee Cichlid
demasoni
Venustus Cichlid
German Red Peacock
Tropheus Duboisi
Lemon Jake
OB Peacock Cichlid
kenyi mbuna
jgrillout

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: What kind of cichlid is this?

Postby noki » Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:29 pm

Kenyi.... common mbuna, very cute blue with bars when juvenile, males turn yellowish when they get older. Can be difficult in smaller tanks, and adults are often not that attractive.

https://www.cichlid-forum.com/profiles/species.php?id=798
noki

Postby GuitarShark » Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:21 pm

I agree. It’s a Kenyi
MBUNAS ARE THE BEST!!!!!

75 gallon Mbuna tank with tropheus, Victorians, venustus, rope fish, pleco, and multiple synodontis
GuitarShark

Postby GuitarShark » Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:24 pm

I noticed your signature. The peacocks should not be in that tank. I have a full grown 8 inch bumblebee who is super mean. He would kill any peacock. The Johani, demasoni, and Kenyi are also too aggressive. Mbunas+Peacocks=chaos
MBUNAS ARE THE BEST!!!!!

75 gallon Mbuna tank with tropheus, Victorians, venustus, rope fish, pleco, and multiple synodontis
GuitarShark

Postby jgrillout » Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:56 pm

Thanks for the heads up ! Excuse my lack of knowledge. I've just been getting the african chiclids I like based on looks (yeah that's dumb). I put a divider in my tank to isolate the a fish when it is showing too much aggession. I'm not that familar with Haps versus Peacocks could you recoomend how you would divide them?
75 gallon freshwater
Blue Johanni 
Bumblebee Cichlid
demasoni
Venustus Cichlid
German Red Peacock
Tropheus Duboisi
Lemon Jake
OB Peacock Cichlid
kenyi mbuna
jgrillout

Postby ken31cay » Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:43 pm

jgrillout wrote:Thanks for the heads up ! Excuse my lack of knowledge. I've just been getting the african chiclids I like based on looks (yeah that's dumb). I put a divider in my tank to isolate the a fish when it is showing too much aggession. I'm not that familar with Haps versus Peacocks could you recoomend how you would divide them?

-Most of your mbuna are very aggressive such as the Crabro, Johanni, Kenyi.

-A lone demasoni may not do well for very long there as they are medium aggressive yet also a delicate species who do better in a group of other demasoni.

-Tropheus should be kept in large groups with other Tropheus and are very prone to bloat so you should feed a strict veggie-based only diet.

-The remaining peacocks/hap could live together, though the Venustus gets rather large and just four together isn't good for aggression.

You could see how it goes and hopefully get some enjoyment out of the tank but I don't see it as a long term setup. The fish you have will do better if you at least separate the mbuna from the peacocks/hap, but even then I personally don't see great prospects for a lone demasoni and tropheus in an mbuna tank.

I feed my mbuna-only tank with only veggie-based foods such as Northfin Veggie Formula and spirulina flakes. This is after mixing mbuna with peacocks when I first started with africans and the mbuna coming down with bloat due to the non-veggie diet I was feeding them. My current tank is nine Kenyi (1 male, 8 females) and ten Trewavasae Chilumba around 3 males, 7 females, though not sure as they're still not mature enough to know.
450gal male peacocks & haps, Frontosa
180gal Trewavasae Chilumba & Kenyi
ken31cay

Postby DJRansome » Mon Jul 22, 2019 5:30 pm

One solution.

Since you seem to want variety, then you should get rid of any females and any fish that look alike.

Since most of your fish are mbuna, I would rehome the haps, peacocks and tangs. The venustus, red peacock, lemon jake peacock and tropheus.

The OB peacock might be OK since it is half mbuna.

The kenyi juveniles are blue with bars like your pic, making it a look-alike with the demasoni. But wait and see if the kenyi turns yellow...indicating a male.
125G Borleyi, Maleri, Astatotilapia, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Maingano, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Petricola
33G Hara; 33G Kwanga; 33G Homeless Peacocks; 33G Cobue
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby GuitarShark » Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:30 pm

I agree but will say venustus and tropheus will work. My tropheus is the little hitman of the tank and none of my fish even notice that the venustus exists. In the store where I work we had a situation with a Mbuna going on a peacock killing spree after they were forced into the same tank temporarily though so avoid peacocks but Victorians, haps and some tangs work.
MBUNAS ARE THE BEST!!!!!

GuitarShark

Return to Unidentified Cichlids